Thanks Sailmonkey! and thanks for remembering about the picture - I will be excited to see it.
No insult taken. I bought the boat floating and sailing, and not pretty. It continues to float, the bilge
stays dry, the barnacles
on the bottom are content, so I am confident it is structurally sound if worn.
I am trying not to get too far into projects that don't mean more sailing. I.E. jib
downhaul was a necessity after I got in a real pickle trying to get the jib
down in strong winds and no lifelines
. Running all the halyards aft is not righ tnow.
Past weekend I brought a battery
over to see how the electrical system
has held up. Hooked it up to the fuze panel, nothing happened - I didn't have a voltmeter with me so I couldn't diagnose much, but the positive bolt/terminal ring/nut on the fuze panel were extremely corroded - actually it looked like a hornet had built a nest on top of them, while the negative was clean. So, I removed the terminal ring which meant breaking it off. the bolt remains intact, so I crimped a new ring on, and am going to hook it back up tomorrow.
All of the bulkhead/hull is pretty open underneath so I figure if that doesnt work I will just start running new wires from a new fuze panel rather than try to fix what's there.
The worst part is the switches are built into the berth/bench - the wires go from the breaker panel on the outside rear of the bench, through a drilled hole, into the bench sort of underneath the head
. So, there is no way to get at them directly because of the head
, and the nuts that hold the operational part of the screw to the concealed electrical
box are these tiny shallow nuts. Again i think i am better off abandoning and using new $5 switches.