Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 10:32   #1

Fillers for Epoxy

I have some West Systems 105 resin and 206 hardener on the boat. I need to repair a soft spot on my dinghy that is about 6-8 inches in diameter and was going to get some 1700 biaxial. I found some 1708 that is okay to use with epoxy and was wondering if I should get the 1708 or the 1700.

Is it worth it to get the west systems fillers?

1. Colloidal Silica - Can be purchased much cheaper at a company like Aircraft Spruce for Cab-o-sil at 14.75 for 1 Gallon.
2. Aircraft spruce also sells Glass Bubbles. 1lbs for about $8.75 to help with sanding, but these look like they might be different than the Micro Balloons from west systems?

Fillers from Aircraft Spruce

Any thoughts on whether the west systems fillers are worth the money or if it's okay to use alternative fillers?
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:54   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Fillers for Epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I have some West Systems 105 resin and 206 hardener on the boat. I need to repair a soft spot on my dinghy that is about 6-8 inches in diameter and was going to get some 1700 biaxial. I found some 1708 that is okay to use with epoxy and was wondering if I should get the 1708 or the 1700.

Is it worth it to get the west systems fillers?

1. Colloidal Silica - Can be purchased much cheaper at a company like Aircraft Spruce for Cab-o-sil at 14.75 for 1 Gallon.
2. Aircraft spruce also sells Glass Bubbles. 1lbs for about $8.75 to help with sanding, but these look like they might be different than the Micro Balloons from west systems?

Fillers from Aircraft Spruce

Any thoughts on whether the west systems fillers are worth the money or if it's okay to use alternative fillers?

1708 is fine. I extended my PDQ with that. You might throw a layer if 6 oz finsh cloth on tope for a smother top.

Cab-O-Sil is fine. I've used it by the BIG bag. It's probably where the West System stuff comes from, since they are the larges manufacturer.
Old 05-07-2018, 20:25   #3

Re: Fillers for Epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
1708 is fine. I extended my PDQ with that. You might throw a layer if 6 oz finsh cloth on tope for a smother top.

Cab-O-Sil is fine. I've used it by the BIG bag. It's probably where the West System stuff comes from, since they are the larges manufacturer.
Any thoughts on the glass bubbles vs the micro balloons?
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy