Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 15:44   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale
Fiberglass hull life? Is a leaking hull a No-No?

This thread has taken a wide right turn.

You can use a moisture meter, you can tap with a rubber mallet to hear for dead spots.

But based on the OPs post, I suggest learning a lot more before buying an old boat. There are many helpful threads on this forum on how to self survey, things to look for etc...

When you have a boat in mind bring us some specifics.

As far as old hulls go, in general a good hull is a good hull. New or old. Anything CAN be fixed, just requires time and money.

Nobody can answer your question on if you should avoid a boat or not. Most people would tell me to stay away from my boat and I love it and it's been good to me. You have to do an honest assessment on what you can handle, and what you're willing to take on. Will you spent 20 hours in your bilge reviving your old motor, or will you have to pay someone to service it or swap it. Can you stand crazed decks or do you want the Yacht look.

What's your sailing experience? Do you know what you really want in a boat? If not go get an inexpensive boat and sail it for a year, a lot and figure out what you wish you had. Keep it around while you start your project and move from there.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, hull