Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20   #1

Boat: 38' Hans Christian
Fiberglass Gellcoat and Laminate Peeling

Hi friends!

It seems as though our 1984 38' Hans Christian is in need of a peel and re-glass. We have in the hundreds to thousand blisters on the hull, as well as tiny gellcoat blisters extending about 1.5 ft above the water line. In fixing some of our larger blisters, we have seen de-lamination as deep as the first layer of roving. We are wondering:

1. If anyone has peeled, and can give us information about your experience
2. If anyone can recommend a yard on the East coast.

We likely will not be able to afford this job for another 2-5 years, but want to start gathering as much information as possible.

Thank you!
Erika and Ryan
S/V Mistral
Piper'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 19:05   #2

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Re: Fiberglass Gellcoat and Laminate Peeling

Ok first hand experience. Our 52 ft Irwin had years of blister repairs. Upon pulling it last year I could not bring myself to just patch and paint over the issues. Had a pro come in eval the hull. Recommend peel, dry and reglass. This was done over a 3 mo period as the peel took all the blisters and only the past repairs were into the glass woving. Yes I took pics and can recommend the company. Pm for name and number. Cost of peel was quoted at 1500 and the reglass was unbelievably cheaper than I would have bet. Happy is a understatement. Yup all new thruhulls. Closed all existing in and cut new ones that were needed. Went from 15 below the waterline to 6. Each boat is different as far as drying time prep etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blister, fiberglass, peel, repair