Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 14:42   #16

I have owned sailed and worked boats over the last 48 years,owned and sailed 2 different ferro boats over the last 15 years and have found the easy to maintain/easy to repair.Very dry in side no moisture/mould and extremely strong and durable. Nearly 3 years ago i had a 35ft fibreglass charter vessel plow into the side while on a mooring,thought a bomb had gone off other boat was a write off,we had 8 inch hole 18 inches above the water line fixed for under $600 Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiper204 View Post
We do 90percent of the repairs on our current boat. Wood, fiberglass, ect .... but ferro .... well we dont know a thing. Some people say "best **** EVER...lol. Some say... "walk away and dont look at ferro." Sigh.... I guess we will have to actually talk to more sailors that have had ferro boats. We met one yest down here in Key West... but they just bought it.
To try to answer your query... I have a ferro but have never had to do any repairs (unlike my carvel, steely etc). But I did watch the repair of the bow section of a vessel severely damaged by pounding on rocks, and it was logical and cheap.

They simply hammered and cut away the cement plaster and steel frame (where necessary) from the damaged area and welded new steel in place. They then plastered, painted and it was done. There were a few steps inbetween - the steel was treated and the plaster was newer epoxies rather than the original cement mix - but the skills are basic and the materials low-cost.

And that was a very major repair job and the damaged caused by rocks. Keep it off the rocks and ferro cement is a wonderfully inert building material when handled properly and vessels that are in good nick decades after construction are likely to remain in that condition for a long time to come.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
There are a lot of second hands boats for sale.
The first and most basic question when narrowing down boats is the construction of the hull and deck.
Select the material that YOU would most like.
Ferro attracts a lot of different opinions from love to hate. It would not be on the top of my list, but my requirements will be different from yours.
A Ferro boat is unlikely to sell quickly (no matter what the broker says) so you have plenty of time to consider your options.
Look at lots of boats, including more ferro models. Second hand ferro boats are often much cheaper than the equivalent model in another material. you can really only gauge the value by comparing it to other boats with the same construction.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 19:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Mostly obvious...

I built a 32' Hartley RORC in ferro too many years ago.

Many of the problems should be evident with a very careful inspection.

As with any hull material it may not be possible to be 100% certain that the hull is sound. Two particular traps that come to mind would be if the hull was cracked below the water line and the steel reinforcing corroded due to electrolysis and problems relating to integral internal tanks.

A friend sailed his ferro from Oz to France, no worries. Then he lightly touched a solid structure and a fair bit of his side (from his distantly remembered comment) caved in. He repaired and continued...

I still have Bruce Bingham's book, "Ferro Cement design, techniques and application". In his designs and designers section at the back he lists a lovely 42' Tops'l Schooner by Jay R. Benford and Associates and the 42' ketch Doreana, designed by himself.

42' Stays'l Schooner
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 19:19   #20

Rust

Rust can move mountains. The armiture is like a whales bones inside the boat...the skeleton of the boat. When moisture gets inside the FC the skeleton starts to rust thus pushing outward on the cement. Cracking and worse is the result.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27   #21

Boat: Tartan 37
In today's boat buying market why even bother with ferro cement, good used fiberglass boats are very easy to find and affordable.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 15:23   #22

Boat: Baba 30
We didnt choose FC we are looking at a custom built Brigantine and it happens to be built with it. We have months to consider whether we want it . Other than the fact that we dont have any experience with FC , the boat is in beautiful condition. The wood work looks as if it has been kept in a museum, and the rigging appears brand new. The inside is jaw dropping and immaculate. The owner and his father are boat builders by trade, and it was built for their family. Not sure why they are selling it, but in this economy I can think of a few reasons why they might. The FC is the only red flag we see at this time.
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 15:57   #23

Boat: hartley tahitian
just selling the 2nd. I have owned (old age). Always swore Id never own one but both have been great. This one (I have a buyer so this is straight) is superb. After 30 years of use the hull is sound, smooth and looking great. Check them carefully is the answer. Val
val maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:46   #24

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Have it surveyed by someone who knows ferro. i own one , a samson c bird that i love. no rust and as smooth as glass. Just have it checked as you would for any other boat your gonna buy.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro