Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55   #1

Boat: Endurance 40 MK II "El VagaBundo"
Ferro and Holes

Hello,

I have been all over the net and haven't been able to find a site with any decent info on ferro. I need to install some Nexus Instruments and wind vane steering (hydrovane) and am concerned about the proper way to this in a Ferro boat.

I have a Endurance 40 12.55 Meters (42 ft)

Ive been to the ferroworld site and its just not informative enough... any help would be appreciated ...

EL V
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27   #2

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
ferro repairs

Try The World Of Ferro-cement Boats to start. After hurricane Luis in '95 I fixed a hole caused above the waterline when another yacht smashed into Dignity with its anchor roller etc causing the damage. Used 2 part epoxy and builders sand mixed. Worked like a dream ( the inner rod and wire mesh was still ok ).
Regards,
Clyde
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39   #3

Clyde,

I dont know what im missing on that site, Are there some hidden pages im not seeing. i have been to that site and I see so many people recommending it but there is no information on making repairs or anything else. :-)

I see them selling a book and thats about it. I am more concerned about installing a hydrovane and thru hulls.

I do have some small repairs to make, How did you mix the sand and epoxy? and what did you treat the area before you applied it?

Thanks

EL V
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50   #4

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
ferro repairs

write-ferrocement boat repairs- numerous replies come up 7. REPAIRS AND JOINTS IN FERROCEMENT
IS ONE
Clyde
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 22:07   #5

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 46 Ketch "Meanda"
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vagabundo View Post
Clyde,

I dont know what im missing on that site, Are there some hidden pages im not seeing. i have been to that site and I see so many people recommending it but there is no information on making repairs or anything else. :-)

I see them selling a book and thats about it. I am more concerned about installing a hydrovane and thru hulls.

EL V
I have spent hours there as well and there is no free info, buy the book,buy the book.
I ended up going back to my designer / boatbuilder. Info is hard to get and good info even harder. I am doing a major refit at the moment and O'Kell is the only person bar 1 who had a clue and was prepaired to share.
Drill your hole then epoxy it to seal it. A die grinder will do the job if you hit steel.
For repairs, only use a ferro mix if you have mesh for it to hold on to. Epoxy will repair all those small indiscresions.
meanda46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
More black magic...

A qualified person must always be employed to check any critical repairs or modifications. What we say on Cruisers Forum is opinion, and must always be checked.

That said it sounds like you want to drill some small holes in the stern of your boat to mount a Hydrovane self steering, and to cut some larger holes for navigational instruments.

Before doing anything that involves cutting into ferro you need to locate any framing members. These could be steel rod, steel bar, steel reinforcing rod or even water pipe. If you can get your hands on the original plans it will help, as will looking for clues in the surface, condensation patterns after a cold night. Maybe even a sensitive stud finder? Anything that will guide you away from cutting into the framing or reinforcing members...

For the larger holes if you can avoid them it would be best. You could, for instance build a housing of wood to hold the instruments and bolt that to the cement using small bolts (say 5mm) and mastic. Other holes could be drilled for the cables.

Ferro is not fibreglass and may not take kindly to large holes. If you really must drill a large hole a diamond saw is possibly the best option. Well made ferro is remarkably tough and while the cement part drills and saws sort of ok the reinforcing wire may not cut and may jam up the drill making for a real mess. It may be possible to drill a circle of small holes, and then somehow cut the reinforcing wire, but it's likely to be messy.

Once you have made a hole I'd suggest priming the bare cement with some warm thin straight epoxy resin, then if there is a bit of a mess, fairing with some epoxy filler.

Ferro also does not take kindly to point loads, so for your Hydrovane, which (if memory serves me right) will actually be steering the boat you will need to seriously consider putting some substantial fairing pads (possibly made from epoxy coated wood and shaped to suit) on the inside to spread the load over as large an area as is practicable, possibly even to other structural members. These need to be well bedded down with good mastic. This is an area where expert opinion is essential.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:44   #7

Thanks for the info!! @Boracay My hull is ferro but the topside of my boat is Wood so running cables is easy enough. I don't want to make any more holes in the boat than I need to so Im going to replace the navigation equipment that I have with newer instruments ie.. Speed and depth sounder, Here is a Picture of the repair i need to do... Can this be fixed with epoxy? @meanda46 thanks for the info and Im gonna buy that book!

Thanks for all your replies and help!!

EL V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	10376  
Old 08-10-2009, 03:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Need survey...

El Vagabundo
Your surveyor should have advised you here. If you don't have a survey then you really need to get someone who knows boats to advise you.

It looks like the ferro has broken just below the wood. There are just too many things to consider to suggest a fix from a photo.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
El Vagabundo
Your surveyor should have advised you here. If you don't have a survey then you really need to get someone who knows boats to advise you.

It looks like the ferro has broken just below the wood. There are just too many things to consider to suggest a fix from a photo.
I have a survey but you know as well as I do NO ONE REALLY KNOWS A ferro boat ill get her fixed! thanks for everything, I looked at your blog! Im about to start my Head and Galley after the haul out!

EL V

Tags
ferro