Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2010, 07:26   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
Fender Boards

Just wondering what is used for fender boards on cruising boats. Is this something you should have on board? How big should they be? Where do you store them?
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:08   #2

Um...use boards. 20mm plywood will do. like 30cm x 150cm. Might want them, might not. Depends if you might need them. Have the crew store them on one of the lower decks.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:17   #3

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
We had fender boards for a while before realising that we really didn't need them where we were. Ditched them. Have not missed them as have not tied up to piles or to grotty fishing quays in tidal areas, which is where you really need them.

The board needs to be quite heavy and it gets waterlogged which makes it heavier still - and then quite hand to manage when it's actually doing it's job. Otherwise, tie to the lifelines.

A plank does fine so you can pick one up if you're in an area where they're needed.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:17   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
If what you are refering to are pieces of wood strapped to the fenders to keep you off a concrete wall or used when tieing up against piles...
Yes, we keep two for our boat, about 5 feet long each, drilled to strap a fender at each end.. only used them a couple times but well worth having on board.. they're made from 2x6 material about 5 feet long and are stored deep in ther rear locker...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:29   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We had two 2x6x5' fender boards with rubber pile strips on either side that worked but were a pain in the neck to store and somewhat heavy to handle. They now reside in the garage, having been replaced by two 2'x5' inflatable fenders that can be pumped up with the foot pump for our Zodiac and store flat when not needed. More convenient, but, of course, cannot be used as a passerelle when med moored.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 10:16   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Another vote for 2x6 here. Plywood is okay for one-time use and discard after that.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 11:30   #7

I bought a 10' 2X4, cut it in half, drilled a hole at each end, threaded a 3' piece of nylon line through each hole, and they have served me well since 2000.

When not in use, I use the line to lash them to the outside hand-holds on the cabin roof.

KISS actually works!
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:01   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
When locking a Monk 42 trawler thru the Trent-Severn system in Ontario, we carried 2, 6 ft lengths of 2 x 6, fitted with heavy dock fendering vinyl along on side. On long hops between locks, and at night, we brought them over the rail, and on deck
Old 29-03-2010, 12:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I have one 2x6 4 1/2' board with stainless steel strakes on the outboard side. I lay this across two or more fenders when I'm at a harsh dock as I am now for a single overnight. I'm at a rough piling with some nail heads. When stored, I suspend the board inboard of my shrounds at the level with my lower lifelines. I've never had any problem with the fenderboard being "waterlogged" as mentioned above. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 13:03   #10

Boat: Vagabond 47
Thanks for all the great ideas. Think I'll go with a couple of 2x6" 5' long. I like the idea of lashing them to the stanchions, then I can tie the extra fuel jugs to them when not in use. Maybe a quick coat of paint on them to keep the moisture out.
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:21   #11

Boat: CS 36t
Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. Think I'll go with a couple of 2x6" 5' long. I like the idea of lashing them to the stanchions, then I can tie the extra fuel jugs to them when not in use. Maybe a quick coat of paint on them to keep the moisture out.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Make sure that the length you choose is compatible with the distance between stanchions. If you are someplace with a lot of surge or tide which may mean that your boat can fore and aft a lot, you may want to go longer than 5'. Once you get a long fenderboard, you may find that you have to add a third fender in the middle of the board to keep it from breaking/hitting the hull when bending.

I spent nine years working on a commercial vessel which was always tied to pilings so we used fenderboards. An oak board would last us several seasons and be used at least once a week.

If you find that storing the boards is problematic, you could try getting two of the tallest fenders you can find and hanging them horizontally.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 15:38   #12
jjt

Boat: F&C 39
Fender board length

The fender board should be sized carefully to match the railway stations distance (for easy hanging), to match the cockpit coamings distance (to be usead as a workbench), to match the distance from deck to pier (when mediterranean mooring), to match the pilot berth (where I store it).

Imagine all the possible usage for plank and then size it properly-
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 16:11   #13
DWT

My boat is only 30' so I have 1- 5' long 2" x 4". Dilled holes to tie a line on both ends. I tie 2 to 3 fenders on the side of the boat then lay the board on the fenders. When you need it...it's great to have!

I have seen rather large,flat fenders in a catalog. Like big foam pads with line tied on the ends to use where you might need a fender board. I might think of getting 2 of these when I get that bigger boat. Storing the 2" x 4" is no problem but those big flat fenders would be.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:01   #14

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
2ea. 2x8x5' spruce for my Pearson 34. A necessity if you plan on N Brunswick or Nova Scotia. Drill a ~1-1/2" hole, centered on face ~9" from each end. Bore 1/2" hole from each edge to face hole. Pass a 3/8" line through & knot center of the line in the face bored hole. Tie one end to fender top, tie other to fender bottom. Also 1/2" radius rounded ends & edges w/router.
They are a bit of a pain to rig but when you need them . . . .
Kept everything aligned, fenders in place, during during TS Bill last August tied to a steel wharf in Bridgewater NS.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:42   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I have 7" high bulwarks (6 1/2" at the cap rail), stanchion bases are bolted through the bulwarks with about 4 1/2" between them. Amid ships the arc is slight enough to stow a 2"x6"x 4 1/2' fender board comfortably.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender