Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 01:33   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Fear and Getting Started

Great pics ..
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 06:01   #17

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Feral,
I've often wondered myself why some people that don't seem to have any sort of plan are entirely comfortable making major modifications.
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

I think that about sums it up.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Great pics ..
Thanks! Dani does a really good job of taking pics. Maybe when we get to some other projects I'll get to hold the camera. I assure you the photo quality won't be as good but the subject matter will be 1000x better.
Old 16-05-2011, 07:30   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41

T9:
Interesting layout the previous owner had. I am concerned about a couple of things that you may be able to re-engineer upon rebuild: 1) The access to the stuffing box was impossibly complicated. I would be worried about being able to resolve any leak that might occur in the prop shaft, and 2) Can you reach the seacock for the refer w/ all the stuff in the way? Other then that I applaud your effort and will follow your blog.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
T9:
Interesting layout the previous owner had. I am concerned about a couple of things that you may be able to re-engineer upon rebuild: 1) The access to the stuffing box was impossibly complicated. I would be worried about being able to resolve any leak that might occur in the prop shaft, and 2) Can you reach the seacock for the refer w/ all the stuff in the way? Other then that I applaud your effort and will follow your blog.
Charlie,

1) You could "kinda" get to the stuffing box with everything in the way by wiggling in on your belly ontop of the motor and reaching down below the old battery boxes and braces and have just enough space to tighten the gland. However.... Point well taken. We'll be leaving it open if we can!

2) I can get to that seacock but I can't get it to turn and I'm fearful of forcing it. With the engine raw water seacock I could wriggle back and forth and it worked itself slow and smoothly shut. This one just won't move.
Old 16-05-2011, 07:52   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

T9:
Just try to place yourself in the type of use your boat will be in (coastal cruising, lake sailing, or bluewater cruising) and try to fix the item. Lake sailing you can plug and sail home etc.. I have changed seacocks in the following manner: Plug thru hull with a bung wrapped with a towel (towel worked like a gasket) and then removed seacock and replaced with new. I'm unsure of your knowledge of boats but would like to throw out a recommendation for both This Old Boat by Dan Casey and Caulders book (can't remember title. They are excellent resources. Goodluck!!!

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
T9:
Just try to place yourself in the type of use your boat will be in (coastal cruising, lake sailing, or bluewater cruising) and try to fix the item. Lake sailing you can plug and sail home etc.. I have changed seacocks in the following manner: Plug thru hull with a bung wrapped with a towel (towel worked like a gasket) and then removed seacock and replaced with new. I'm unsure of your knowledge of boats but would like to throw out a recommendation for both This Old Boat by Dan Casey and Caulders book (can't remember title. They are excellent resources. Goodluck!!!
We're about to haul out. Like next Monday I believe, so I am just biding my time and waiting until then to fiddle with the seacocks. They're the old grocos with the rubber cones in them so it may just need to be pulled apart, lubricated, and possibly lapped. Otherwise I'd probably try just what you said.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:43   #23

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

right there with ya bud. Keep up the good work!

see my trash heap in my sig:
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 13:00   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Does anyone else have a boat that looks like this?
Mebbe

Quote:
Do you cry at night?
No. but I wake up screaming a lot............

FWIW, my advice (for anyone starting a major refurb / project) would be to decide at the outset what you are trying to do (factory finish / better than new / sound but workmanlike / rough & ready ). how you are going to do it (in broad terms) and the use you intend to make of the boat during (and after) the refurb............easiest thing in the world to turn a boat into a pile of bits - good to know why beforehand

I would also say that you need to get something out of the process itself (apart from a nice boat at the end - hopefully ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 13:08   #25

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

SOoooo many pictures. Good luck and Good Job!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:06   #26

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

So now that we have taken the time to take the engine room apart..Target and I are thinking long and hard about repowering Sundowner with a NEW Beta Marine 38..

We have such great access to the engine room right now that it seems like if we were ever going to repower her now would be the time..

The Perkins M50 currently in the boat was new in 1992 and has about 6000 hours on it.

Any thoughts or advice on servicing and keeping the Perkins or Repowering with a Beta Marine 38?

The advice on this forumn has always been so helpful. Thanks!!

if anyone is interested in the 4th day:
Engine Room Refit Day 4 | SV Sundowner sails again
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 01:23   #27

Good work fella! My girlfriend and i are in the middle of refitting the sailboat that will take us across an ocean together, i can sympathise entirely!

Great idea to replace the old diesel with new, i should have done the same in retrospect. Heres a pic to help you on your way, this is the filth that was left when the old diesel came out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filthy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	27615  
wkd928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:53   #28

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Thanks for that picture! What kind of old diesel did you have, and how long after you decided not to replace did it need replacing?

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 07:25   #29

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

My fear is letting go of the funds to purchase the boat... Yes I have enough but!? Am tight fisted and procrastinating about bringing the funds to one central bank so I can pay for the vessel.
Do have my eye on about four different used sail boats, all big enough for live-aboard without having to step outside to change my pants or my mind. Have two remittances to live on... Just need to open my hand to let go of the funds.

A good boat's name: Son's Inheritance.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:16   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my formosa is a 100 ft boat--- looks GREAT from 100 ft--and formosa my life i will be having to do something to repair something about her...LOL.... but the only fear is and has been hitting rocks or beach here on the lee shore called left coast..LOL--made it from sd to mazatlan without so doing-- hoping and prayng that streak of good fortune continues... smooth sailing and keep up the good work, but dont let the work hinder your adventures--- work is do able while underway.....i know that one well.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote