Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2008, 03:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
.. Teak may be found for $18 a bf ...
A Board-Foot (bf, or BFM) is the volume of a one foot length of a board, by one foot wide, and by one inch of nominal thickness.
Hence, a board foot of ½" planking will cover 2 square feet, of surface area.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 04:58   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Keith, was this the product you used made by Lonwood (roll size and pricing sound identical)? When you refer to using sandpaper, I assume you chose the unfinished look over the varnished - does it tend to stain easily?

In addition, did you use the proprietary adhesive? I know the adverts say it voids the warranty if you use any other adhesive, but the shipping to Canada is rather problematic for the adhesive.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 08:11   #18

Clarification

One board foot is a piece of lumber that is 1 foot wide, 1 foot long and 1 inch thick. In lumber we use the nominal thickness not the actual thickness. 2x is actually 1.5 inches, 1x is actually 3/4" etc. Perhaps fine hardwoods are more accurate?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 14:06   #19

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch
Re: Faux Teak on Deck

Silent Option,
My wife and I are buying a Shannon 38 ketch. The reason I'm sending this is, the deck has some crazing in it, and I wanted to know how your Nu-teak deck worked out for you. We live in Ohio and the Plasteak company is just down the road from us. We are interested in putting on the Plasteak and saw your thread on here. Did you do the job on your CSY? If so, how did it turn out? Thanks
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 14:21   #20

Boat: Beneteau 473

Sorry I missed this. I just recently got back online. I sold the CSY before we could do the deck. Not before we started making templates sadly

I have been on so many boats with different brands of fake teak decks and I am still convinced it is worth doing. If done properly

2 months ago I bought a 2005 Beneteau 47. Now we are discussing doing the topsides on it

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00   #21

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I was just at a boat show in sandals on a sunny day, about 80 degrees. I burned my feet on two boats with nu teak. They looked beautiful, but my feet were still sore the next day.
Old 02-07-2014, 17:54   #22

Boat: Allied 39

Teak decks in the tropics..... No thanks as it makes the boat at least 10 degrees hotter below.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-07-2014, 19:53   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dark non skid will burn your feet, too.

Ann
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55   #24

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

With respect to teak making the boat hotter in the tropics, chouliha, are you sure? I'm not in the tropics, but I've heard the opposite. When allowed to weather naturally, the grey teak is rather light in color. If one hoses down the decks (or they get sprayed naturally going to windward), wouldn't evaporation of the water remove heat from the boat?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02   #25

I'm in South Florida and had Nu Teak on the swim platform of my powerboat. It was too hot to stand on which kind of defeats the purpose of a swim platform. It is fairly thin and would add no strength to whatever it is applied to.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20   #26

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
With respect to teak making the boat hotter in the tropics, chouliha, are you sure? I'm not in the tropics, but I've heard the opposite. When allowed to weather naturally, the grey teak is rather light in color. If one hoses down the decks (or they get sprayed naturally going to windward), wouldn't evaporation of the water remove heat from the boat?
I can say with 100% certainty that teak decks in the tropics will make your boat like an oven below. They absorb sooo much heat you will not be able to walk on them barefooted without burning your feet.

3 summers in the Sea of Cortez with daily temps close to 100F allows you to quickly see what gets hot. We covered the inside of all our windows with the aluminum auto windshield reflective foil. Really helped a lot.

We knew some boats with teak decks that resorted to covering them with white painters drop clothes in an attempt to keep the sun off them. Some folks that had the large bronze ports painted them with water based white primer to try and keep the heat from being transferred inside. This was easily removed in the fall when temps cooled down. Amazing how hot those bronze ports would get. You could hold your hand close to them below and just feel the heat coming off them

Any type of off white deck color you would not be able to stand on it with bare feet.

Safe Sailing

Chuck
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35   #27

Boat: Lafitte 44

BUT if you pour water on the teak deck it does cool down .. at least enough to lay down on it.. now that does not alleviate the cabin temp... but that is what deck shades are for.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57   #28

on my HC38 the teak decks were very hot in the sun. watering them helped but it evaporates very quickly. They also seem to retain the heat quite well , which doesn't help. I suppose they initially have some insulative value until the heat is absorbed.
When I removed them I put on grey Treadmaster, it was a lot cooler and no problem walking due to heat...probably due to the raised dimensional surface, although that stuff is not comfortable on bare feet!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak deck