Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 06:22   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Fasteners for Solo Through Deck Hardware Bolting

Guys, I seem to recall a few threads wherein some fasteners were described that allow one guy working alone to through bolt hardware to decks & such... without a helper belowdecks turning/holding the nut while things were tightened up. Does anyone know of such fasteners, & what they're called? Assuming that is, that such hardware exist.

Thanks, & if someone has tips which lead to striking Aurium (gold) on this, maybe I'll lobby for making it a sticky. Given how many of us often find that the crew has disappeared on certain maintenance days even when free beer is offered.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:55   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Fasteners for Solo Through Deck Hardware Bolting

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
...fasteners were described that allow one guy working alone to through bolt hardware to decks & such... without a helper belowdecks turning/holding the nut while things were tightened up...
It is unnecessary to have a below-decks helper if you use a ViseGrip on the nut. To prevent the ViseGrip from turning, you can duct tape it or simply insert an awl or long screw in an adjacent hole. Plenty of ways around this problem than specialized fasteners.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:12   #3

I'm aware of at least a half a dozen ways to get by when using standard fasteners. But none that are super speedy to use if you have say, 20 bolts to do per side. Or even a much larger number, such as for jib tracks, a toe rail, or hull to deck joint. Thus my initial query.
Obviously I will entertain other methods, however the solo fastener type option is the preferred solution of the moment.

As for example, there are numerous suggestions on how to get by when doing this type of maintenance/construction, using standard fasteners, in this thread --> Singlehander: Thrubolting? - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 28-10-2016, 08:32   #4

Another way, (and sorry I'm not answering your question) Is to use regular nuts with lockwashers and not Nyloks. Put all your bolts in, go below and put the washers and nuts fully on by hand The lock washers hold the nuts from spinning well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:54   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

FASCO FASTENER Stainless Steel Togglers | West Marine
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

VICE GRIPS
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:41   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is unnecessary to have a below-decks helper if you use a ViseGrip on the nut. To prevent the ViseGrip from turning, you can duct tape it or simply insert an awl or long screw in an adjacent hole. Plenty of ways around this problem than specialized fasteners.

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but if you're through-bolting anything that requires sealant and you're holding the nut steady and turning the bolt, you're doing it wrong. It's the bolt that should be prevented from turning so as to maintain the seal.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 17:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Maybe I'm not reading it right, but if you're through-bolting anything that requires sealant and you're holding the nut steady and turning the bolt, you're doing it wrong. It's the bolt that should be prevented from turning so as to maintain the seal.
No sir, you're reading it correctly. Though there are a few sealants & techniques which do a passable job, but not a perfect one. And honestly, for anything serious, I'd prefer to epoxy bond the fasteners. Then pull them once it's cured, & re-bed them in something flexible. That way they're likely good for at least a decade. Two if they aren't being continually shock loaded, & are spaced closely enough that there's never the full brunt of the load on just one or two of them.

But as you know, necessity sometimes dictates doing things in a less than ideal fashion. Sadly.

Old 28-10-2016, 18:48   #9

Agreed on the epoxy, MaineSail's method is the one I use. As far as making it a one person job, Roverhi's vise-grips on the bolt with some way to brace it in place is the first thing I'd try. Luckily for me, the wife is very accommodating in the hand me this or hold that role.
Old 28-10-2016, 18:51   #10

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Yep, these are the things......also make blind fastening possible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:52   #11

Quote:
As far as making it a one person job, Roverhi's vise-grips on the bolt with some way to brace it in place is the first thing I'd try. Luckily for me, the wife is very accommodating in the hand me this or hold that role.
Sheet metal vise grips Singlehander: Thrubolting? - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Sounds like you won big in the marriage dept.

Old 28-10-2016, 19:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Sheet metal vise grips Singlehander: Thrubolting? - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Sounds like you won big in the marriage dept.

Agreed. We just brought a new to a friend, 54' Jeanneau DS, up the coast, Marina Del Rey to S.F. last week. It was a bit of a bumpy ride most of the way and she, despite a patch, didn't feel very well the entire trip. She never missed a watch and her biggest complaint was that she was disappointed in herself that she got sick, a trooper all the way.
Old 28-10-2016, 19:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yep, these are the things......also make blind fastening possible.

I'd be very cautious using these, the Fastco site gives no info on the specs of the product. Also, for anything requiring strength, they don't offer very much surface area to spread the load, A blind fastener that doesn't allow the installation of any type of backing plate doesn't seem very useful, in my opinion.
Old 28-10-2016, 20:09   #14

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
I'd be very cautious using these, the Fastco site gives no info on the specs of the product. Also, for anything requiring strength, they don't offer very much surface area to spread the load, A blind fastener that doesn't allow the installation of any type of backing plate doesn't seem very useful, in my opinion.

I'll admit, the times these are the answer are few and far between, but there are times when they're an acceptable option, given the proper caution about their limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 20:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'll admit, the times these are the answer are few and far between, but there are times when they're an acceptable option, given the proper caution about their limitations.

Agreed.

Tags
hardware, deck