Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2010, 21:29   #1

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Exterior Latex as Hull Paint ?

I'm acquiring a 24' sharpie this weekend. It was home-built, and possibly home-designed. It's a cat ketch with leeboards, 24'LOD + 26" bowsprit & kick-up rudder, 5' beam, < 9" draft board-up, with approx. 130 sq ft sail area, and about 700 to 800 pounds weight naked. The owner/builder had it sailing for several years, and put it up in his basement for some touch-up. He passed late last year. I'm getting what I think is a good deal from the estate, which is closing the house at this time.

In the process of refinishing, he decided to add a cuddy, which is all built, but not yet finished. All bright work is done in epoxy and poly. Painted surface preps are just begun however.

This will be a trailer queen most of it's life I'm afraid, and will see 3 to 6 dips a year where it could be in for a week at a time, or less. Although starting in fresh, it will eventually see estuaries like the Carolina Sounds. Intents are for dry storage near the shore, with heavy use on vacations, but this may change.

My big 2 questions will be painting the hull, and electric trolling motor drives. I'm already searching places like this. But, my initial question is this:

I've seen exterior latex recommended often for trailer queens. I'm looking for something that will put up with the occasional abuse, but not require the extensive work and cost of some of the state-of-the-art bottom paints. I figure on white above the WL, dark blue below, and maybe a red stripe. I have a spray outfit, as well as way too much experience with rollers and brushes. These are not issues. But finding the best technique for the particular paint is a good thing.

The hull is covered with marine epoxy and fiberglass over plywood. No idea what the last paint was, other than it was 2-part and required mixing.

So far, searches on here have provided extensive general hull-painting info, but I haven't found specifics. Can anyone provide those, or additional info on exterior latex use, or a link? I'm looking more for specific information on types and brands here, and less on generals and procedures. IE, what works, what doesn't.

All help appreciated!
Thanks!
Karl

Old 23-06-2010, 12:02   #2

Boat: Oday30-B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman1956 View Post
I've seen exterior latex recommended often for trailer queens. I'm looking for something that will put up with the occasional abuse, but not require the extensive work...

I’ve used exterior latex below decks off and on with decent results; however, although I know watermen occasionally use it for workboat hulls that get painted every couple of years due to the rough life they lead, I’ve not convinced myself it is the way to go on recreational craft – trailer or not… Nonetheless, a few designers with experience in more utilitarian craft have advocated its use… just not a lot of general experience to draw from…

Old 23-06-2010, 12:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
I'd be very cautious about using latex on the exterior of the hull. You need something that will adhere very well while occasionally being under water. I'm not convinced any latex will do that.
I'm certain there are other experts here that can chime in.
regards,
Old 23-06-2010, 13:22   #4

I don't know whether there's a valid comparison, but when painting exterior vinyl surfaces with latex you typically add a bonding agent:

http://www.mrhardware.com/painting-v...ArticlePath=22

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 14:00   #5

we used exterior house poly-urethane on my son's 1969 Eastporter after extensive work
new sole/floors center stringer, seat, seat boxes, new deck all around you get the idea. that was 9 yrs ago and the paint still has a shine. not quite as good as fresh but not chalking either. oh and by the way we put it on with rollers (2 coats) and there really isn't any orange peel. the only thing we did was to fill in gouges etc. and sand with 80 grit on a random orbit and wipe with acetone. this was all done out side in the yard the boat stayed in the water 24/7 April thru November never had an issue. I don't know about Latex. i live in the N.E. on the ocean and houses painted with latex hear start peeling in about 2-3 yrs after ap. and this is done by pros.
Old 23-06-2010, 20:35   #6

Thanks all!
Mike d., yours looks most informative so far. I'm also consulting books from Reuell Parker, Bud McIntosh, Doug Rossel, and the Gougeon Brothers too.

I can say for comparison, my current trailer sailer, a 14' Shell Swifty, was a couple years and a few drinks old when I got her in '04, and she's seen about 100 dips and 3000 miles of trailering so far. She's coated with Interlux Bright Side Poly, in teal green, and doing very well.

Maybe that's an answer.
Old 23-06-2010, 20:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
If you are looking for a paint recommendation I'd choose a two part car paint like Imron.
regards,
Old 24-06-2010, 20:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If you are looking for a paint recommendation I'd choose a two part car paint like Imron.
regards,
Thanks for the recommendation.

But no, actually, I wasn't asking for paint recommendations, I was looking for input from those who have experience using exterior latex. Any takers?
Old 24-06-2010, 22:48   #9

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
used to use latex paint on the deck of my steel yacht, put it on with a fluffy roller to give grip effect worked great, cheap easy to touch up, need a few coats to get a bit of build up, then provides a bit of cushioning protection for dropped tools etc, doesnt chip and a good surface to walk on
Old 25-06-2010, 00:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Latex dodger...

I used exterior gloss white acrylic (what some call latex) on my dodger and "bimini" over a couple of coats of thinned generic epoxy resin.

Sticks well, cheapish, easy to recoat, doesn't look too bad (Suits the dodger). Feels nicer to touch.

The main disadvantage seems to be that it wears easily. Full sun, a bit of rain and a few seagulls has it just about ready for another coat. Even a premium grade exterior gloss looks mat after a few months.

I'm using single pack marine grade polyurethane on the rest of the boat. Way more durable.
Old 25-06-2010, 06:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I used exterior gloss white acrylic (what some call latex) ...
Latex paint is actually a misnomer, because there is actually NO latex in latex paint. Latex is a natural product that originally came from the Brazilian rubber tree.

What goes into paint are synthetic polymers* that look** just like natural latex, but have a completely different chemical makeup and different properties than latex rubber.

* Latex paint is a general term which covers all paints that use synthetic polymers such as acrylic, vinyl acrylic (PVA), styrene acrylic, etc. as binders.

** looking milky when wet, and clear and flexible when dry

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 20:00   #12

One strong recommendation I heard was for the latex acrylic exterior floor paint, as in for decks and porches. Soap and water clean-up, durability, low mess low toxicity, this is what got me thinking.
Old 28-06-2010, 20:42   #13

Cool

Well, it is mine now. In my driveway.

Hopefully all goes really well. This was a compromise between building from scratch (I'm more than capable, but brain dead and tired when I get home), as well as a compromise between several boat options. It's 24' x 5' x 9", a cat ketch sharpie with leeboards. An R. D. Culler design, "Sharptown Barge", dated 1975 on the very fragile prints I have. Apparently, with a few touches added.

In a few months, I think it will be schweeet!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21   #14

Boat: Brown Searunner 31 #108 - Drole D'Oiseau
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Latex paint is actually a misnomer, because there is actually NO latex in latex paint. Latex is a natural product that originally came from the Brazilian rubber tree.

What goes into paint are synthetic polymers* that look** just like natural latex, but have a completely different chemical makeup and different properties than latex rubber.

* Latex paint is a general term which covers all paints that use synthetic polymers such as acrylic, vinyl acrylic (PVA), styrene acrylic, etc. as binders.

** looking milky when wet, and clear and flexible when dry
Yup. I used Ben Moore "Porch and Deck" on a portion of topside as an experiment. "A premium quality, quick-drying, epoxy-modified acrylic satin latex floor enamel. One coat covers most previously painted surfaces that are in fair to good condition." After one year of full exposure it looks the same as when I put it on. So this year I did the interior with it - looks great.

I am in the process of painting the freeboard and am leaning toward Sherwin Williams "Duration." I love Interlux "Toplac" for a one part coating but at $65.00 per QUART they've got to be kidding!

The primer I am using will stick to anything - formica, tile, etc. and is very hard and has passed the scratch and tape test with flying colors. It is Insul-X "Stix" which I am totally crazy about. Insl-X Paints - STAINMASTER, CabinetCoat, STIX, Swimming Pool Paint, Freezer Paint and Seal-Lock ~ O-Gee Paint Co.

I also experimented with "Kiwi-Grip" for non-skid two years ago. Has held up very well - gets dirty easy and is expensive at $100.00/g (overpriced). I am searching for a less expensive replacement. Probably a thick co-polymer will do just as well.

I believe water based paints are the future.

Jim
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
If I were going through the whole process of painting that bat, I certainly would use a higher quality more durable paint than latex house paint. Petit Easy-Poxy would be my choice as reasonable cost versus good performance. David

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: