Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12   #1

Boat: Freedom 40/40
Experince with Spartite on Masts - Mast Installation/Removal

What experiences have people had with removing their masts with a Spartite ring and the re-installing it? Does the material swell at all?

I'm having an argument with a boat yard who cut off my Spartite ring last year when I was having the mast repainted. There was no reason to cut it off and I wasn't a happy camper. They used a hacksaw blade to cut it, so the cut removed very little material. However, when we went to put it back on, it wouldn't fit into the partners and we ended up having to sand it down to fit.

-- Geoff
geoffschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:05   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I recently replaced my old cedar chocks with Spartite.

It was actually recommended to me that having installed the Spartite, when next we removed the mast that we (carefully) cut the spartite of the mast (in 2 symmetrical halves), so that, in the future, we can easily remove and replace the two pieces without necessarily having to lift up the mast.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 14:55   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I used Spar-Tite the last time my mast was pulled and have been quite pleased. However, I haven't pulled the stick since then and hope it will be long time before I do.

If memory serves the ads seemed to have one just pull the stick and put it back in. Have you tried contacting Spar-Tite to get their opinion??
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:45   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I had a very long discourse back and forth with them last winter as my partners do not have a gel coated smooth surface so they actually recommended I not use there product that I had bought already.

The directions say it will actually shrink a couple thousands of an inch so I dont see how it would swell.

As already mentioned by someone the concept is to leave it on the mast and it self aliens back up..They never said anything about cutting it in half...I have to re pull my mast soon so I will be modifying the partners to properly take the spartite..which is to have a slight taper for ease of removal and reinstall..

Below is a drawing I sent them to compare and clarify what they recommend to have ( top ) to what I have and wanted to do but told not to.( btm )

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartite.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	6133  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, mast, removal