Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 13:23   #1

Expected repainting bottom costs on steel hull Freya 39

Hi I'm new to the forums, I'm looking into purchasing a steel hulled Freya 39 from the southern California area. The boats hull had a sandblasting done in 2008 and showed little corrosion, except for one door which was cut out and a new plate welded in. The vessel needs to be pulled from the water and reprinted , I'm assuming not from bare steel but it maybe a good idea to sandblast again and start fresh, can anyone give me an estimate on expected cost as well as a reputable honest boatyard either in southern cal or SF bay
Thanks
MarinerFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 16:57   #2

Re: Expected repainting bottom costs on steel hull Freya 39

Wow nobody has any ballpark estimates hub?
Old 18-08-2012, 17:45   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Your almost gonna have to make some calls to so cal ship yards to get any prices on a boat like this !! some body needs to eyeball it to even make a barn yard guess!! steel can be easy or tough to repair and paint !! just sayin we can't see it so it's real hard to make an estimate !!! Wish I could be of more help
Old 18-08-2012, 20:58   #4

Most will depend on how good a job they did in 2008. If the paint is still adhearing well, leave well enough alone. If there are already problems then you may need to sand blast again, or if the problems are only along the waterline, just blast a strip along where it needs help and leave the rest alone. Since the last blasting was done only a few years ago, maybe you can learn what yard did the work and what paint system was used. That might help you decide if you want to use the same type paint or go to something different. The yard that did the last job could most likly give you a pretty accurate estimate. By the way, I used to be docked on the same pier as the original wood Freya that the class is based on. It is a beautiful design. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 21:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Might want to find a yard that handles the steel commercial fishing boats. Don't know if there all that many in SoCal but would probably be in the San Pedro/Wilmington area. Sandblasting has gotten to be a big problem finding a yard that will allow it. Hopefully the paint is still adhering well and sandblasting won't be needed. Grinding and wire brushing just aren't as effective as sandblasting.

No idea what the cost would be to take a steel boat down to bright metal and refinish other than it won't be cheap. Having a yard do a bottom on a Fiberglass boat, just roughing up the bottom and painting, will run 2 boat units with materials.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 05:54   #6

Thanks for the replys I guess I shouldn't really even worry about the costs associated with getting this hull pristine again, bottom line is its gonna cost a bit. once I get the survey done I'll have a good idea of what needs to go into it. I was just trying to ballpark what I would need this first year
Old 19-08-2012, 06:13   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

I had a friend who had his steel bottom sand blasted and coated on a 38 ft boat 2 years ago in Washington. I believe it cost him about 5 grand.
Old 19-08-2012, 06:24   #8

Thanks Paul that's the range I was thinking 5-6k depending on conditions bellow the waterline, she was sandblasted and 8 coats applied in 2010 so hopefully it's just touch up work that is needed.

Fair winds and smooth sailings!
Old 28-10-2012, 03:59   #9

Boat: Under Construction

I would look into it a bit further sand blasting a steel boat is a big job get someone to come in from a paint shop they can check the current thickness of your paint you may only need to water blast and grind of the anti foul as most steel boats have three prime cotes then something like intertuff seal coat so all you have to do is go back to the seal coat and start again. If you are going to have a rust problem in the hull it will rust from the inside out, Blocked gussets timber bolted to steel , water penetration between ballast and hull in keel, the most exiting product used on steel boats was Tar epoxy on the inside by the time you see the rust bubble due to its hardness you have a hole in your hull , In my case lucky chipping Tar epoxy in the marina and nearly sunk.
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56   #10

Is the boat you bought from Oxnard?
Yukongraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:21   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

One yard here in the Bay Area quotes about $2700 for two coats of Trinidad on a 39-footer.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull