Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2006, 10:59   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Exhaust Location (Thruhull)

Opinions are encouraged.

I have the opportunity to redo all my exhaust. I've moved the engine from aft to more amidships. Most all the boats I have experience with had their exhaust running to the transom. If I run my exhaust to the transom there will be at least 18 feet of hose with several bends.
Does anyone have experience with an exhaust run to the side? I'm thinking port side about 16 feet forward of the transom.
What would be the problems associated with side exhaust?
How far above the waterline should the exhaust exit?

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 11:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Goto:
"TRANSVERSE EXHAUST SYSTEM" ~ By Dave Gerr
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...age.php?i=1625

and:
"Please Don’t Drown Me” ~ Northern Lights
http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/...t_drown_me.pdf

and;
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...age.php?i=1611
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...age.php?i=1613

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 14:20   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, the only problems I would see are first, the danger of flooding when the boat is heeled over far enough to submerge an exhaust (which may be at a point where the water is pressing against your hull and ready to "climb in") and second, if the exhaust is upwind of the boat, getting exhaust and monoxide problems on the boat.

The transom usually is in a low air pressure (relative vacuum) area when you are under way, and the exhaust helps reduce drag somewhat, while the low pressure helps scrounge the exhaust. Again, only somewhat. Mainly...you've really got to rock the boat to force water back up from the transom, and anyone coming alongside never gets gassed.

Or you could do like the lobster boats, just run a dry stack straight up into the air, like a truck or bulldozer does.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 20:37   #4

Gord and Hello,
Thanks for your input. I'll read everything twice and I might just go my own way but at least I'll have some expert advice
Hello, I once sailed with a fellow who had dry exhaust from his old Lister that came up through the cabin top. (Buehler Juno Cutter). I considered it too but he had trouble with exhaust sooting up his sails and blowing back into the cockpit. It is a very simple solution and if my boat were for catching (Hawaiian) lobster I might consider it.
Kind Regards,

John
Old 21-07-2006, 16:47   #5
cruiser

Exhuast

If you are able to run the exhuast up along a bulkhead to just under the deckhead ,then down to the opposite side from which it leaves the engine, you'll have a pretty flood proof system, and out of the way as well.
If you exit it just about ten inches above the waterline , then use an elbow to turn the last bit down below the waterline, on threads so it will swing up if it hits anything, you won't need a muffler. You'll need a 1/4 inch antisiphon hole in the elbow. I used this system on my last boat with a dry exhuast for ten years . It worked well.
Friends with wet exhuasts corroded out two engines since 1998 from condensation on the valves etc. They are going for a dry exhuast now.
A diesel mechanic in Port Townsend was quoted as saying" If everyone went for dry exhuasts and keel cooling, we'd all be out of work."
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 21:36   #6

Aloha Louis et al.,
Love Port Townsend and the Wooden Boat Festival.
I'm now leaning toward a few bends and a very long exhaust hose to go to the transom. I remember my friend on his Herreshoff Marco Polo drowning his engine because of side exiting exhaust and it seems there are many more disadvantages to side exhaust than advantages.
Dry exhaust although has many advantages in its simplicity still doesn't take care of cooling water in a closed system and I don't think will work for me.
More opinions? Something I missed?
Kind Regards, --JohnL--
Old 22-07-2006, 11:59   #7
cruiser

Exhuast

I have a closed sytem for cooling and a dry exhuast. No problem. Pumping water where it endangers the engine is not using it wisely.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust