Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-01-2016, 11:35   #16

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Estimating materials for bottom painting

Also,your square footage of covering will vary greatly depending on the thickness of the roller nap. Shorter nap = thinner coat=more square foot covered etc

Old 22-01-2016, 12:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No. Acetone is one of the least toxic solvents around. Flammable, yes, toxic, not hardly.

(from Wiki)
Health information

Acetone has been studied extensively and is generally recognized to have low acute and chronic toxicity if ingested and/or inhaled.[38] Acetone is not currently regarded as a carcinogen, a mutagenic chemical or a concern for chronic neurotoxicity effects.[37]
Acetone can be found as an ingredient in a variety of consumer products ranging from cosmetics to processed and unprocessed foods. Acetone has been rated as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substance when present in beverages, baked foods, desserts, and preserves at concentrations ranging from 5 to 8 mg/L.[38]
You forgot one. Acetone is the best way to find any open cuts or wounds on the body. Pour a little on and instantly you found it.

Old 22-01-2016, 17:03   #18

Boat: Cascade 36

My $.02

As a first time DIY guy I think you should follow the manufacturers guidelines and/or instructions word for word, step for step. Now I believe those instructions and guidelines are written as "Cover their ass" material but I also believe that they "cover their ass" by providing you the necessary information that will give you the best chance for success.

If you give work to the boatyard and it comes back jacked up, you can blame the boatyard and hope for remediation. If you do the work yourself and its jacked up you can blame yourself OR the materials. If you blame the materials your only hope for any kind of remediation from the manufacturer is to have followed their directions to the letter. (Even then you probably can't hope for much)

Also, you can get a gallon of the Pettit 120 shipped to you for $60 from several different online vendors. You might even be able to find it for less if you look hard.
Old 23-01-2016, 06:40   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I may have missed something but what material are you coating and are you painting over existing paint or down to bare fiberglass, metal or wood?
Old 23-01-2016, 06:54   #20

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I'm sure some will consider this heresy, but my entire life I've never done more than hose the dust off and let it dry before bottom painting.
I'm with you, Mike.
Old 23-01-2016, 07:02   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
You forgot one. Acetone is the best way to find any open cuts or wounds on the body. Pour a little on and instantly you found it.
!!! Business Opportunity or Investors Wanted !!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 07:07   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
As a first time DIY guy I think you should follow the manufacturers guidelines and/or instructions word for word, step for step. Now I believe those instructions and guidelines are written as "Cover their ass" material but I also believe that they "cover their ass" by providing you the necessary information that will give you the best chance for success.
well said, worth repeating.

I have done this more than once, with Pettit products (Trinidad PRO) and following their directions, including using the 120 Brushing Liquid, has been successful. I only need at most 2 quarts (40'boat, 3 coats of paint). What the 120 does is not only prep the surface but it does make the previous coat a bit tacky and so acts to tie the paint coats together.

Prep is EVERYTHING in painting, and you want the bottom to be as fair as you can make it. PS I use foam rollers for best finish although I've been too lazy to burnish lulz PPS be damn sure to agitate the paint thoroughly and frequently

Bottom painting sucks, do a good job so you don't have to do it again (too soon)
Old 23-01-2016, 07:19   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I never thought bottoms were that hard:
* Use a self polishing paint.
* Sail enough to wear it all off. No build-up or stripping, good adhesion.
* Scratch sand with a vacuum sander, with special attention to any rough areas.
* Dust and paint 2-4 coats, depending on the area. Use a 3' handle on the roller, 1/4" nap. Mix the hell out of the paint. Box it between 2 cans.

I've only done about 50 hulls over 30 years without troubles. But I don't know anything.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 13:43   #24

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
I may have missed something but what material are you coating and are you painting over existing paint or down to bare fiberglass, metal or wood?
It's an older fiberglass boat with epoxy barrier coat and 2-3 coats of well worn Micron CSC ablative, with which the Pettit SR 40 is reportedly compatible.

Thanks everyone for all the info.
Old 24-01-2016, 12:08   #25
cruiser

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
It's an older fiberglass boat with epoxy barrier coat and 2-3 coats of well worn Micron CSC ablative, with which the Pettit SR 40 is reportedly compatible.

Thanks everyone for all the info.
Here's what I do for this type of bottom.

(CAUTION: When working near spent airborne particulate or fresh liguid antifouling paint, where disposable nitrile gloves, taped at wrists to disposable Tyvek hooded coveralls, with a proper fitting organic respirator and face shield. Follow manufacturers directions and hazardous materials handling and disposal practices.)

1. If old CSC is flaking off in patches, it was not applied properly, remove it all, else proceed to step 2.

2. Wash with water off anything left on after the last power wash.

3. Mask waterline with 3M auto refinishing tape. (Sticks much better than cheap painters tape and leaves less residue.)

4. Scour with 3M pad.

5. Vacuum excess dust away from surface.

6. Wipe remaining dust with water wet and dry rags (2 rag method.)

6. Apply anti-fouling.

In my opinion, the roller nap has less to do with WFT than pressure and roll out.

If you possibly can, stick with CSC rather than switching. CSC is great paint, and if applied properly, has the lowest lifecycle cost of any retail Interlux anti-fouling paint.

Full Disclosure: I sell and apply Interlux and 3M products. This post is offered as free advice and not intended to solicit business.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
Old 24-01-2016, 12:36   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I used CSC for many years. About 2 years for 2 coats with so-so performance the last few months. I then tried Micron 66 and got 2 good years. The last 2 times I got big spring sales on PCA Gold (private label SR-40) and got very close to the performance of 66 for 1/2 the price. It's the good sales that really make it.

Mid-Chesapeake.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: