Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-05-2015, 14:01   #16
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Estimated life of top quality galvanized chain?

Stainless chain will rust if not pulled out of the water often, and breakwhen you need it most,also its 10x more expensive

Old 17-05-2015, 14:08   #17

I took my old chain to the recyclers and got $5 for it. Then I bought a new galv chain from the local supplier who of course promotes the weakening effect of re galvanising. I had wondered whether the heat involved in galvanising is sufficient to alter the tempering and what Cheechako says certainly makes sense. From memory the SS option was about $40 a metre. There is a caution though on re galvanising CQR anchors. The lead built into the pointed end melts out during galvanising. Then the anchor will certainly drag. It can be replaced but many people don't notice it's gone. Seven years life of chain sounds OK to me and it is reassuring to be anchored by a new chain.

Old 17-05-2015, 14:35   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I just replaced mine after 6 years.

Daily use, 24/7/365

My new 75 meters cost about $1,200 so thats $200 per year. For a boat thats a bargain.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 14:45   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alha View Post
. . . could someone explain to me why, other than cost, SS chain isn't used? . . . . If a person was looking at a nearly million $ (when new) investment in a boat like an Amel, I can't imagine that the addl cost of going with stainless would be much more than a rounding error.

Many auto mfgs have switched to SS for exhaust systems, . . . !
The difference in cost is not a rounding error even for folks that can afford an Amel. In the case of an Amel lets assume you want 1/2" stainless, that runs about $50/ft. For 2-150' shots that's about $15,000 or about 1.5% the purchase cost of the boat. A comparable strength galvanized 1/2" G43 runs about $10/ft.

Automotive use of stainless does not match marine use, the primary difference being immersion in water, an auto exhaust system with be dry and very hot or mostly dry and cool during most of it's service life. No so anchor chain.

Stainless depends on exposure to oxygen to maintain the oxide surface coating that protects the bulk of the material. Immersion in water somewhat limits this expose, but the chain part that buries with the anchor winds up in what is usually a completely oxygen free environment. If the anchor is weighted every week or so this should minimize the problem.

Finally the welds in the anchor chain are especially susceptible to corrosion. The welding process really changes the metal structure locally.

If you still want to go down this route then you need to consider that not all stainless's are created equal. In the US you want 316L. In Europe you can get duplex (318LN) or superduplex (A182F61) which are both better than 316L. Cromox by Walder is one option I know of in Europe.

Try this thread for further discussion: New anchor chain in Duplex stainless

The only boats I would put stainless chain on are boats about 20' long. About that length 3/16" chain becomes the appropriate size but hot dipped galvanized is not available. If weight is an issue for the boat I would go SS in order to go with the smaller chain size.
Old 17-05-2015, 14:54   #20

Boat: Roberts EuroCat 2000 69 ft

When buying chain , I have learned to avoid anything out of China.
Old 17-05-2015, 15:46   #21

MarkJ, yours must be bigger than mine. My boat would almost sink with that much chain onboard.
Old 17-05-2015, 17:10   #22
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The difference in cost is not a rounding error even for folks that can afford an Amel. In the case of an Amel ...
Thank you very much for a very complete answer. I knew that there had to be a reason for it, looks to be about 5x the cost, but if like you said it doesn't last 5x as long, then it's pretty much a waste of money. Love learning new things every day! Oh, and thanks for the link, I'll check it out now.
Old 17-05-2015, 17:22   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Firstly, if you live on a dock, Stainless chain is wonderful. If you live on the hook, forget it.

We have had our chain re-galvanized 2x (actually 3x as the first time was re-done)
We have been on the hook for 17 years now.
If you choose the highest grade of chain to have a high strength to weight ratio, there might be 'some' truth to the story about heat damage.
If you choose the heaviest weight to strength ratio it would make no difference to re-galv it 100x.
We get 6 years on our 330ft of 1/2" chain.
We do not swap ends, because that WILL result in a rustball in the locker.
The chain will not rust when in use, but when in storage (oxygen levels)

Saw a french boat once, his chain locker was a 20" pvc pipe. His kitchen sink drained into the locker, that greasy water running over it. When the bits of onion etc got trapped, they went over the side next time the anchor was used. His chain was never galvanized, and never rusted.

You can dump light oil on the pile to help deny oxygen to the steel.

So, short answer, 6 years of 24/7/52 use...
Old 17-05-2015, 17:42   #24
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I just replaced mine after 6 years.

Daily use, 24/7/365

My new 75 meters cost about $1,200 so thats $200 per year. For a boat thats a bargain.
If we may, where did you get your chain? I would rather get only 75 meters but the deal I'm planning is a 1/2 barrel, 87 meters for $1295 (G4 5/16) + shipping (14cu' about $250) from Florida to the Rio. So I'm looking at spending over $1500 for more chain than I want. I already have a spare length of new chain from the last 1/2 barrel, I can only carry so much. $1200 for what I want sounds good but then there is local shipping... so maybe it's a wash?
Old 17-05-2015, 17:53   #25
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, after reading that thread, and a couple others linked to it, it sounds like SS can definitely be an option, albeit an expensive one. The biggest point I got from those discussions is, you want to use stainless duplex chain, made in Europe, and certified (DUPLEX 1.4462 / AISI 318LN). One person stated that for his boat, which was 8mm, would have cost him about $15-20/foot. This was back in 2012, not sure about today, I've heard steel prices are down now due to the slowdown of growth in Chinese steel utilization. Oh, and it's best to not use it in oxygen deprived environments like mud for an extended length of time, which is exactly what you said. Interesting idea about running your sink into the chain locker, but wonder about the cleanup on the deck when laying it out, and that stuff dripping off of it? Might be a bit of a mess, unless the chain never comes out above the deck. So much to learn...
Old 17-05-2015, 19:11   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

There is an Australian test on line showing chain strength before and after re-galvanizing. There is no difference in strength. They tested both G30 and G43. They did not test G70 which may lose some strength from re-galvanizing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: