Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20   #1

estimate for deck repainting

The gelcoat of my 1977 Tartan 34C is fading and I am contemplating a paint job. The non-skid has been redone by the PO and looks good and does not need to be done. While I like to do work myself, this job may be a bit too much, and I don't want to screw up the aesthetics of the boat.

My question is how much will this set me back when I get id done by a yard in the Northeast. I assume it would save a lot if I remove the hardware myself.

I am asking here since my experience is that getting a realistic estimate from a boat yard is never easy or probable. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: estimate for deck repainting

Tomminy, you'll save a lot if you sand and prep the surface for painting, and this is the larger part of the work - also - if you got this far you might as well finish it...
Removing hardware is the easy piece.
I cannot answer your question on the cost to do it professionally, but I am sure its a big chunk.
I am still not sure - how do you a deck painting without redoing the non-skid?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43   #3

Boat: Morgan 383

Been there, done that. (You should be able to find my previous post in this thread.) I painted around the non-skid, which was in "pods." Not all decks are 100% non-skid. Buy a lot of masking tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taping.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	77139  
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43   #4

Boat: Searunner, 37'

The Hinckley yard in Portsmouth, RI charges $98/hour for labor.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:44   #5

Thanks.

The painting itself is what scares me.

The non-skid is a mat-type and the PO used to paint it regularly, but not the 'skid' parts.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:25   #6

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I did the decks on our boat 2 years ago, we used the Interlux epoxy primer, and the Perfection paint. I wouldn't waste my time with any paint that wasn't an LPU or epoxy/ 2 part paint. It will be soft and won't last as long or be as glossy. The primer came out great and stabilized the crazing we had going on in the old gelcoat as advertised. The reason I went with it over alwgrip was the amount of how to info for the do it yourselfer. Both have been shown to give excellent results.

There was alot of info on the website and the technical help hotline was very responsive and helpful with the questions I asked before I got started. I'd had no experience painting boats before and found it easy enough to tackle.

Even a paint job with a few runs and messed up areas will look a far site better than chalky and or crazed gelcoat. Also you'll need to do at least 2 coats of primer before, and at least 2-3 coats for your topcoat. That all translates into experience before you have your final coat to get perfect (or as close as you can get). You can always wet sand out any goofs and go again.

I probably had about $900-1000 with paint, sand paper, dust masks, masking tape ect into doing our decks. Most places around the midwest start around $300/ft LOA. So for my boat it would've been over $8,700. I can throw an awful lot of coats of epoxy paint until I get it right for that price! I bet you wont find a yard cheaper on the east coast, I could be wrong though.

That was my experience at least. It helped it was on a old boat I had nothing to loose by trying it on, I couldn't have made it look any worse than it was! It's given me alot of cofidence in my repair abilities and I'm now looking at boats that need a similar treatment for our next step up. Of course all this is assuming your willing to get dusty and work for it! For some I know it's not worth it, for us it was. Here is a shot the summer it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 White Lake Yacht Club Anchorage Andy .jpg
Views:	332
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	77140  
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39   #7

Boat: C&C Newport 41

the answer in the north east is about 4k.

if you pull the hardware and do the prep work and have them spray the topcoat you are closer to 800.

if you do choose to do the heavy lift, make sure u use high build primer and with a crazed deck, i would roll on 3 coats instead of 2.

if you are willing to pay the 4k you could go with a synthetic teak which will require no labor outside of pulling the hardware.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-108353.html

and / or... u could go down the synthetic teak path but do the templating / installation yourself and save 50+%

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:33   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Ultra

I don't know the state of your "slippery" deck areas, but I was very close to painting mine as well until I asked the question "could it just be buffed?". The answer was "hell yes!".

http://www.kiwiboatowner.com/2013/12/deck-2014.html

Island_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 13:24   #9

Boat: Rhodes, Chesapeake, 32

I painted my recored 32' Rhodes in less than two days with 6 quarts of kiwi grip. It looks great. You would need blue tape, a pencil, a knife, $200 for the paint which includes your rollers.
Ketchgould is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint