Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 07:50   #1

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 361
Estimate Cost to Repair

So I'm not ready to make a purchase of this magnitude yet, but I came across this boat today while doing my regular searching of new listings.

2004 Beneteau 292 Oceanis Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It's listed as a 2004 Beneteau 292 (though I believe it's a 393) it ran into a drawbridge and has some other issues from a previous, unskilled owner.

A good condition '04 393 lists for about 120k. That gives a buyer up to $75k to repair the boat and come out ahead.

Without first seeing a boat like this in person, how would you go about estimating repair costs on a fix like this? I'm all for a good project, but don't know enough to be able to tell without flying to see the thing if the project would be money well spent or would have no chance of being profitable.
Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Estimate Cost to Repair

The USCG documentation records for that vessel, by name "My Wild Irish Rose", states that it was built in 2003 and has a length of 39.3 ft. The hull identification number is BEYN11691304 with the hailing port listed as Osterville, Ma.
Old 29-11-2016, 19:02   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Deck stepped mast means that hitting the bridge didn't have to cause structural damage to the cabin and mast step - good things. Photos don't show chainplates or tangs much, however... They could be major issues. Buying new rig will also be a major expense. Call Seldèn or Beneteau to find out how much, for starters.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 19:58   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Presumably this was an insurance write-off. They figured it would cost too much to fix. Why not contact the broker and see if you can get a copy of the insurance survey report. Then perhaps look at it yourself and maybe get a surveyor to give you some opinion. Then its off to how little can you get this thing for.
Old 29-11-2016, 20:34   #5

2005 Beneteau 393 US$ 79,900
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Makes this fixer up look very expensive on the face of it.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Presumably this was an insurance write-off. They figured it would cost too much to fix. Why not contact the broker and see if you can get a copy of the insurance survey report. Then perhaps look at it yourself and maybe get a surveyor to give you some opinion. Then its off to how little can you get this thing for.
The broker is being less than responsive to my messages. Thanks for the idea though, I will ask when/if he replies.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:29   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

It's impossible to estimate. The question is how much of the rig you can salvage. The good thing is that Beneteau masts are very inexpensive so there is that. The deck damage is significant, from the photo, and that will not be inexpensive to repair. When the mast came down it damaged the dodger and probably some stanchions as well.

I have to say the most alarming thing to me is the damage to the rudder. "A couple of gouges" is an understatement. It was clearly grounded on something given the extensive damage. It must have pounded on the bottom too, with that damage along the bottom. All that would scare me away as there could be structural damage around the rudder post that cannot be fully diagnosed without a teardown.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44   #8

I see signs of corrosion in the keel bolts - the bottom paint looks like a rushed job during the previous haulout as the owner didn't even bother with stand/lift strap.

There are so many better boats I don't see the appeal of an unknown owned by an unknown.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:20   #9

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

If you knew how to do fiberglass repair and had a decent budget to fix it up it might be worth offering $20k for. There are as others have mentioned ALOT of big question marks that would make a difference when repairing this vessel.

Looks like something I might attempt but them I'm a little crazier and wilier than most.

From the looks of it you'll need to drop the keel and inspect or replace the bolts. Drop the rudder and rebuild. Re-glass the deck. Cut inspection holes through out the inner liner to asses the bonded inner tub to the hull connections. Replace every chain plate but the rear one. Replace port lights ect. New sails and running rigging. Strip the hull and inspect for further damage. The construction techniques employed for this boat make it nearly impossible to be certain that you've found all the damage, and or repaired it.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it for someone who is skilled in repair. Might be worth it for someone with a big enough check book. However if your check book is that big just go buy one that's not wrecked. This one has lost value permanently as even once its repaired you couldn't be certain of critical strengths in the hull and tub bonding. The reports of the accidents are public and easily searchable so any future buyer with a minimum of work can find them and their potential offer price would certainly reflect this.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iduna View Post
...I'm all for a good project, but don't know enough to be able to tell without flying to see the thing if the project would be money well spent or would have no chance of being profitable.
Stick to what you know about how to make money.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:13   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Ask repair facilities where the boat is. Unless you are going to tow it to your place.

It is always local prices that dictate the costs. These can vary dramatically from one part of the world / country to another.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40   #12

Thanks guys. I'm not personally skilled in the repairs, though I would like to learn on an easier project than this. Looks like I'm going to continue waiting and looking.

Time to move somewhere warmer.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51   #13

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I think that's a wise choice. You can find many boats around the Great Lakes that need a little work but are able to be sailed currently to practice on. Start cheap, that way if you screw it up beyond all help no big loss!