Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2008, 14:15   #1

Ericson 35 Damage to Deck/Hull

I was wondering if some experienced boat owners can take a look at this damage and give me a rough estimate of how much to get it back to looking good. Or is it not worth the effort?

Starboard side:

Portside:

This is the surveyor's written description:
Quote:
There is an 8’ long section of hull/deck separation on port side midships. Rub rail is damaged in same area. Hull/deck damage about 6’ long near bow on starboard side. There is a 5’ long section of hull/deck damage midship on starboard side. Hull sides are painted and are scratched 360 degrees. Bottom of hull has no fiberglass damage but blisters are present.
I spoke with the surveyor today and he said that there was no damage to the hull or deck or the physical structure of the fiberglassing. He said there was blistering on the bottom. Can blistering compromise the hull over time? Can it be repaired?

I am a novice beginner and this is way more boat than I need but I was wondering if this was a good boat for $5,000.00 from a Hurricane Ike auction?

This is the boat at US Auctions: Link
DriftingNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 17:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 31-2
I'm no expert but I just went through a long search of more than a year before buying mine and I went to look at many many boats during that time.

Needs anchor, steering cable, fiberglass repair, rubrail and God only knows what else...It seems to me that you could spend alot of money getting this boat right and then have a boat thats not really worth that much. Look up mid 70s 35' ericsons on yachtworld.

Blisters... if they are bad/big enough and left to fester, yes they can eventually cause hull damage but they will also be a huge negative if you try to sell it.

I wouldn't buy it unless it comes with a lifetime supply of migraine pills.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 17:55   #3

Boat: Morgan OI 414
That is repairable. Believe me, I have seen so much more damage than that repaired so well that you could not even tell if it was damaged. The question is...how much will it cost to hire someone with skills to repair that. If the boat is cheap enough, then I would say that it is worth you repairing it or having the repair done by a skilled professional. I could repair that and I am not highly skilled but know enough to fix that right.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 18:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Add the cost of the boat to the cost estimate to repair the damage. Then see if there are other Ericson 35's in better shape selling for less in your area. I bet there are. This is a buyers market for boats. Take advantage of it by finding an inexpensive boat that is also in excellent shape.

As this recession progresses I think you are going to find better buys.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 18:10   #5

I've bought from US Auctions before and they represented my boat accurately.

Not counting the glass damage there are plenty of other reasons I wouldn't buy that design. Most are personal objections to equipment or layout.
The boat looks solid enough that if it could be had inexpensively. You could repair it and use it. Then later sell it and break even.
I've only ever seen one blister go all the way through a hull.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 20:57   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you have the funds to have a GOOD yard do the job you will be happy.

Do your research and if you get ready to have the work done come back here and I will give you some guidelines to keep from gettin taken to the cleaners.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 06:14   #7

Thanks guys for all your advice. This boat is way out of MY league but I have talked to the yard owner and he said it could stay in the yard until the repairs are done (two or three weeks at the most). He said it would cost $10.00/ft to drop it in the water (Galveston Bay) so about $350.00 to splash.

I talked to a fiberglass boat repair company and he gave me an estimate of around 1,000 to $2,000.00 for basic repair of the hull/deck...

Again, this boat is WAY too much for me. I am still on Chapter One in Sailing for Dummies. Yesterday I spent all morning on the floor of the bookstore reading books about sailing.

I also spoke with Lakesidesailing.com yesterday to inquire about chartering and certification. They have a great program/package with the ASA for $250.00. That is about my entire sailing budget right now...
DriftingNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson