Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 11:38   #1

Equipment Age?

Am looking at a group of boats varying in age from 1989 to 2003 and with various equipment. Wondering if an older boat with water maker, generator and AC is possibly ready for replacing these nice extras or if, given decent maintenance, they should be good to go for several more years.
Obviously each has different requirements but curious if I'd be better off with figuring on putting these pieces new on a different boat knowing how pricey they can be. Any thoughts?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:54   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Equipment Age?

Everything on a boat has a reasonable life expectancy usually between 5 and 15 years. Less if high use and more if low use but everything ultimately fails.

On my boat, over the last 10 years I have replaced 2 roller furler units, all the standing rigging, the watermaker, the dinghy, the main sail and the A/C units. The effective age of the equipment was 9 years when I bought the boat. However, I live aboard full time and I sail over 4,000 miles per year.

You have to figure all these potential expenses into the budget...The Best Buy is probably a boat on which someone has just replaced everything.

Good luck and keep 30% of your cash for maintenance.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 13:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Equipment Age?

A used boat is like a used car. Much of its future life depends on the care it had in the past. The brand of equipment and the manufacturers reputation is how to predict additional life. If you don't know, ask the people that repair marine engines and equipment. Most OEM watermaker companies use propriety pumps, filters and membranes. You're better off with one from Cruise RO that use standard pieces you can buy anywhere.
How you treat your engines has a lot to do with their life. Clean oil and fuel, and avoiding excessive rpm. Go a little slower and double the life.
I've been on the water my whole life and learned the brands/equipment that are reliable and cost effective to repair and the equipment that isn't. I bought my current boat largely because of the Detroit Diesels. My main engines were made in 1947 and I believe overhauled only once. When I did it. I assume, with care, they're good for another 70 years.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men