Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 03:59   #1

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
EPoxy or paint?

I have an area or the bilge where the fiberglass mat layup is exposed. (Like the poly resin was either insufficient or has dissolved away and the top fibers are exposed). It was under a water tank which has been removed. It is above the bilge sump area. Should I just paint it with bilge paint along with the rest of the bilge or paint with an epoxy coat first? I really can't see the new resin accomplishing much.
Pictures of the area can be seen here Bilges | Sailing Vessel Vigah
Old 11-03-2014, 05:12   #2

Re: EPoxy or paint?

Just additional info. Tank will not be re-installed as we have two 80 gal tanks installed. Picture of the mat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mattexp.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	77370  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14   #3

Hard to tell from the photos but I believe what you are getting at is that some of the exposed glass lay-up was insufficiently "wetted out" which means it looks like you can see air bubbles trapped inside the fiberglass.

As far as what to do, depends on what you objective is? Structurally you are probably fine so I don't see painting directly over it being a problem. If you want to make it smooth before painting then an application of Bondo would be quicker and cheaper that epoxy.

Regardless, your biggest issue will be proper surface prep to get anything to adhere correctly, besides the dirt looks like there might be some oil in there?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:45   #4

There indeed was some oil. It has been scrubbed twice with heavy TSP. Now it is just stain. I am moving the water heater from the engine compartment to this area. This will give me some room/access to the engine. Over thirty years things happen. Thanks for the reply.

A few years back I re-glassed the sump area when I had the main water tanks out and coated it with barrier coat. It has water in it most of the time. This area should only have some run off from water coming in through the anchor holes.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:41   #5

In the light of day and after a proper drying out I decided to try the epoxy first route. To my surprise, the area with a loose cloth look actually wetted out! SO I guess the next step is to wash off the amine blush, rough it up and paint it with bilge coat paint.

Tags
epoxy, paint