Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 12:00   #1

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Epoxies

Hi,
I'm looking at alternatives to using West System for epoxy on a composite boat.
Has anyone tried Total Boat? or any other epoxy that isn't quite as expensive, but just as good as WS?
Thanks!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Epoxies

There were some eye opening tests done on East System epoxies as compared to West & other brands. And one of the key ones is how flexible the resin is once cured, since some cheap epoxies are quite brittle. But depending on where you're using it/for what, even this can be a non-issue.
I put up a post a while back listing several inexpensive epoxy brands & sources, & if you can't find it, LMK. Also do some research, & perhaps a post over on www.boatdesign.net/forums there are guys there, including pro's, who use a lot of epoxy, & at a lot lower price than WEST. Buying it in volume helps too, even if it means splitting an order with someone, or several folks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12   #3

In the us? If so try uscomposites.com

I totally rebuilt from the hull up a skiff with their poly resins. Loved their products and service.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:39   #5

I've not tried anything new in terms of resin in a while, as I've still got some around from my last bulk purchase. But here are a few links I've run across in just the last few months. The prices range from about $40-$80/gal

OffshoreCatamarans.com Featured Products (Bell Composites Inc.)

MARINE GRADE EPOXY RESIN | East Coast Resin East Coast Resin

LBI Fiberglass.com http://lbifiberglass.com/EPOXRESINS/epoxy.html

US Composites.com Epoxy :Â*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners Epoxy :Â*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

East System Epoxy Resins @ Noahsmarine.com East System Epoxy Resin Part A .96 L (1 Quart) : 1032a : Noahsmarine.com

And it helps to get to know builders & boat repairers. Both to get a feel for the properties of resin X, or Y prior to buying some. And in that guys who use the stuff in bulk usually get better prices on it. Boat Design.net is helpful in this regard, as are other boatbuilding forums, as well as some designers themselves

Plus, if contemplating a big, or critical project, & the resin's an unknown, buy a small quantity, & test it out a bit first. Along with doing as much research on it as possible.

You also want to consider what application it'll be used for, & how critical the resin's performance will be for the job in question. For instance if you're gluing up cored composite panels to build an interior out of, the resin needn't be on par with that used in hull construction of a high tech racer. Or if you’re building a deck with thick glass skins, & a core, then flex characteristics aren’t so critical as if the deck had thin skins.

BTW, there are plenty more out there. Just do an online search. That in addition to digging up some reviews of any resin you’re considering using.

PS: Please post any tips you dig up on what to use or avoid, as well as sources of inexpensive resins.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 12-06-2017, 18:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Pro-set, (owned by WEST), seems to be the standard go-to resin for boatbuilders in my area. I'm told it's a notch or two above the WEST-branded products, but also that the America's Cup teams turn up their noses and use it only for molds. You have to have a commercial account to buy it from Composites One, but if you're building a significant-sized project, it might be worth setting up a business just to get commercial accounts, not only from Comp One but from West Marine and other suppliers. Buying in bulk is usually a very good way to save.
Old 12-06-2017, 20:18   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Hi,
I'm looking at alternatives to using West System for epoxy on a composite boat.
Has anyone tried Total Boat? or any other epoxy that isn't quite as expensive, but just as good as WS?
Thanks!

Depends on what you mean by "composite", but if you're laminating fiberglass try Silvertip laminating resin from System Three. You can thank me later.

https://www.systemthree.com/products...ng-epoxy-resin

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 20:25   #8

What if we're talking about a boat built using cored construction? I know that both WEST (Pro-Set), & System Three have specialty resins for this. But as to how they compare to others, & what the others are ???

Since there are worlds of difference in terms of laminating; Wood, Glass, Cores, High Modulus Fibers. And whether or not you plan to post cure. Also, you want to match the physical properties of the cured resin to that of the reinforcements it's being used with, so that they work together. Possessing similar yield points, like stretch percentages etc.

And then there's the viscosity issue...

Old 12-06-2017, 20:46   #9

It's plywood and solid wood with fiberglass overlay. The area next in line for some fixing is inside the cabin, where I'll need to make a fillet, so I'll be mixing with colloidal silica for part of the project.
I have heard good things about System 3, but I'm curious to try this: https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=64343

The price is hard to beat. I'll report back after it's done. Same thing if I just stick with the tried and true.
Old 12-06-2017, 21:18   #10

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Epoxie

Don't forget to check out Progressive Epoxy Polymers at

EPOXY -- Two part resin - marine floor epoxy rot leak repair - 603 435-7199 anytime

Ignore the fact that his site kinda looks like lingscars.com. The guys got a lot of neat products, great prices. Call him up to discuss your project and I'm sure he'll have some good advice. Basic No-Blush is superior to west, and cheaper, imho. ( If you don't know about epoxy blush, google it. I think it's a real nuisance and west definitely blushes under some conditions....)
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote