Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2007, 03:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau 456
EPIFANES RUBBED EFFECT VARNISH

I am currently refinishing some interior areas. I have experimented with applying a coat or two of West System Epoxy to some areas such as the companionway steps and then 5 or 6 layers of the EPIFANES RUBBED EFFECT VARNISH. It looks amazing but WILL IT LAST? Has anyone used this Epifanes product?
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 05:02   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i have used this product. not sure on the lifetime results since it has only been a few years. i did learn to thin it down a bit for better brush flow. i agree it looks good.
Old 15-06-2007, 06:41   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
To get the less shiny "Rubbed Effect" look on clear finishes without actually hand rubbing them (lots of work to hand rub with rotten stone or pumice) manufacturers add flattening agents which actually reduce the clarity of the product.
Multiple layers of the rubbed effect or satin product can lead to a noticeable loss in finish clarity. The finish looks "dead" with diminished wood grain. (It is like using Cetol instead of varnish. Not a bad trade off for the increased UV resistance the additives give Cetol for exterior use, but not the look you would choose for furniture or interior wood)
Usually it is recommended to do your build in gloss finish and then do the final coat or two in the satin for that soft hand rubbed look.
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 15:40   #4

Boat: Endeavour E40
I know this is not a recent thread, but this rubbed effect varnish was originally used on my 1982 Endeavour E40 and it still looks pretty darn good. I've decided to do a little touch up the interior using the same varnish..... I'd really like to completely varnish the interior but I just don't seeing me even "lightly" sanding the entire interior for a new coat......
but to answer your question, this stuff is apparently durable!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 16:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
looks amazing but WILL IT LAST?
Nothing will out last UV rays. The longer it lasts the harder it is to remove when it fails. I'll swear to that. I just spent a week removing old varnish from the cockpit. This is like twin 4 inch cap rails with 18 turned spindles between them. I don't do varnish any more. http:///www.teaqua.com. Removing varnish from flat smooth surfaces is child's play compare to spindles.

It came out great. This is Asian teak and it is quite red.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 16:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Nothing will out last UV rays. The longer it lasts the harder it is to remove when it fails. I'll swear to that. I just spent a week removing old varnish from the cockpit. This is like twin 4 inch cap rails with 18 turned spindles between them. I don't do varnish any more. http:///www.teaqua.com. Removing varnish from flat smooth surfaces is child's play compare to spindles.

It came out great. This is Asian teak and it is quite red.
Does this have a glossy finish? There is a photo of a table on their website with a very glossy finish, just wondering if that has had some additional topcoat added? Any idea on durability and ease of recoating?
BTW, I like very shiny!
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:49   #7

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I use wood penetrating epoxy, then varnish on the exterior pieces. It should last a little longer, we'll see. But the nice thing is it seals the wood, so i don't have put 3 coats of varnish on before i start to get a finish (usually its still "soaking in) 3 coats later.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote