Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 08:25   #1

Ensenada Cheap Bottom Jobs Are a Myth!

After reading some posts about getting boat bottoms done in ensenada, i went to the Baja Naval website (the rumored yard) and emailed Guillermo, the head guy. here's what he emailed me back.
The hull painting from the waterline to the sheer line will be between 135 to 160 dollars per feet, so based on 30' from 4,000 to 4,800, this is to use L.P., the difference will be the sanding done and how many primers we use, the 160 dollars rate will be for a high build, then detailing then finish primer then painting; the 135 dollars rate is just for sand, prime once and paint, both are considering two stripes in one color and hull in white L.P. using AWLGRIP.
The bottom job removing the paint down to gelcoat, apply 3 coats of epoxy barrier coat, light fair the surface and roll two full coats of paint with 3rd at leading edges will be 84 dollars per feet, labor and materials included, just zincs and work on thru-hulls will be extra.
Chalk the cheap ensenada boat bottom jobs right up there with other seagoing myths, like the Kraaken and mermaids!
mrcottonsparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 14:49   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Daaayyyyyyuummmmm!

Wow... and I thought the $125.00 a foot I paid here in FL was high... Actually I just had my entire hull Awlgrip'ed by a fellow here....and the job turned out beautiful!!

Why is Ensenada so expensive? Simple: "Joe California" (yes, I do mean the indigenous species of person residing in California that possesses more money than brains or discretion) goes down to Mexico and asks for a price....gets one....and "immediately comments": Man....that's cheap! Up in California it costs $$$..... So guess what? The fellows south of the border decide to raise their prices because some doofus "gringo" runs off at the mouth.

My son was down there a few years ago...maybe five or so...and he said the work prices there were a bargain....then.

Not to violate any forum rules...but if anyone finds themselves in SW FL near Punta Gorda or Sarasota and wants really high quality varnish work or painting done....email me at rob500a@yahoo.com and I'll give you his name and number....and believe it or not...he did it with no "upfront money"!