Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 11:16   #1

Engine Mount Cracking

I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Chaparral 330 Signature that appears to be in above average condition for its age. After crawling all over the boat, my only concerns were two cracks in the port engine mount blocks. The first photo shows the bilge and engines which appear to be rather clean and well cared for. The second picture is the port engine mount block on the starboard side closest to the center line. It is the bigger crack and appears that bilge water at some points may have gotten up to an inch deep around the crack. The third photo is the port engine mount block on the port side and appears that bilge water has never reached it.

I just looked at the boat yesterday and contacted my surveyor regarding availability, but haven't heard back to schedule the survey yet.

Currently, the negotiated sales price is $7k+ under NADA and the boat appears to be in above average condition for 12-years old. I could not take pictures of the aft sides of the engine mount blocks with the tools I had on hand yesterday, but I will ask the surveyor to get back there. I also plan to have the marina's fiberglass shop provide a repair estimate.

Am I crazy to proceed with this boat and have the cracks repaired this winter?

rjbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 11:38   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Engine Mount Cracking

I fear those “cracks” may be from the glass encapsulated wood expanding from water intrusion.

I would bet on pulling the engines to get a good long lasting repair, so plan accordingly. Although engine access looks good.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 12:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I fear those “cracks” may be from the glass encapsulated wood expanding from water intrusion.

I would bet on pulling the engines to get a good long lasting repair, so plan accordingly. Although engine access looks good.
That is sort of my plan. Use it through this season and have a fiberglass shop repair it over the winter.

With the boat being $7k - $10k under NADA value, I feel like it might be worth it considering how much we like the rest of the boat. It has a great layout and the rest of the boat is in above average condition. So far it's our favorite boat from the half dozen models we've seen in-person and dozens we've looked at online. It seems that the boat could be a strong boat for a long time once those engine mounts are repaired.
rjbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 14:04   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Possibly the "boxes" filled with water somehow,froze & split.
Suggest you cut them out this winter & rebuild-making sure there are limber/drain holes.
Len
Old 17-06-2018, 15:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Good surveyor ought to be able to tell you exactly what is going on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine