Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21   #1

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Emergency Engine Driven Bilge Pump

I am the pump killer. I have four bilge pumps on my boat and have managed to kill all four on one passage. So I was thinking about what to do, besides carrying several spares. I had an ephiny! Why not plumb a Y valve into my raw water line? I could do it just upstream of the through hull. Take the new leg of the Y into my bilge. Shut off the through hull leg and turn on the bilge leg. Since I would only use it in an emergency. I could could keep a pretty close eye on the level of the bilge water and switch back before the bilge was completely empty.

Thoughts?
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Emergency engine driven bilge pump

fit a good strainer on the bilge side that is easy to clean,and with your track record get the liferaft checked!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-62013.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ump-74212.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mma-20374.html

Above 3 from custom google search found on the search button on CF

emergency bilge pump - Google Search
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37   #4

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I am the pump killer. I have four bilge pumps on my boat and have managed to kill all four on one passage. So I was thinking about what to do, besides carrying several spares. I had an ephiny! Why not plumb a Y valve into my raw water line? I could do it just upstream of the through hull. Take the new leg of the Y into my bilge. Shut off the through hull leg and turn on the bilge leg. Since I would only use it in an emergency. I could could keep a pretty close eye on the level of the bilge water and switch back before the bilge was completely empty.

Thoughts?
You must be reading my mind,
Ive been doing research all afternoon about this...
I have found pulleys you can buy for my engine anyway but sure you can get them for all types,

http://www.peachment.co.uk/downloads/download_700.pdf

and these are shaft driven,

Fast Flow Emergency Bilge Pump
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57   #5

what kind of pumps? Any of them diaphragm pumps? Or were they the drop in centrifugal pumps? I've found the latter to be worse than useless, dangerous in that they tend to give a warm fuzzy where none belongs..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
what kind of pumps? Any of them diaphragm pumps? Or were they the drop in centrifugal pumps? I've found the latter to be worse than useless, dangerous in that they tend to give a warm fuzzy where none belongs..
I am an equal opportunity pump killer. In order of death. 1) new Jabsco belt driven diaphragm pump. (Jabsco was awesome about this) 2) Whale centrifugal pump. (backup to the diaphragm pump) 3) Whale manual diaphragm pump (Old and has since been rebuilt) 4) Jabsco impeller style wash down pump.

Brad <= serial pump killer
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't get me wrong, but how much water do have aboard your vessel?? I would worry if I had to pump enough to wear out pumps like that ! maybe Im wrong just asking Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03   #8

Wasn't a great deal of water. None of them lasted very long.
Old 07-02-2012, 14:24   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I would consider using the raw water pump only in serious fix, as I would not wish to put even the strained contents of a well-flooded bilge through the diesel. Better I think to have a separate belt-driven pump on a second power take off. This could involve a fairly typical situation where the pump is disengaged much of the time, but could be rigged quite quickly, or where a second alternator belt must come off to belt up the fixed pump.

I can see this working in a situation where you also have an engine-driven compressor, for instance, as you would likely already have a double PTO.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 14:29   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post

Thoughts?
Your little engine water pump might be better than a small electric pump...but still woefully short of what you want. As someone suggested a separate BIG pump on a separate pully/belt or clutch driven is a better solution.

Are you burning up pumps because you are letting the voltage get too low?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:25   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Get a belt driven pump with an electrical clutch that you can drive from your engine. Being a pump killer I would worry you would kill your raw water pump and your expensive engine.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:43   #12

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

On the 36 foot gamefishing vessel that I skipper it has a Jabsco engine mounted deck wash which has ran trouble free for over 6 years now and it has a valve where the inlet can be changed from the through hull to the bilge for use in an emergency pumpout which is very effective as it pumps a lot of water - much more than a large electric bilge pump.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:47   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a look at the Groco Safety Seacock Conversion:

Add an SSC to the top of any seacock to allow instant emergency bilge pumping, or to simplify winterization and cooling system flushing.

IN AN EMERGENCY: While the connected engine is running, close the seacock and remove the quick release plug. Excess bilge water will be pumped overboard by the engine raw water pump. Add GROCO Bilge Strainer to pump out remote bilge locations. See Illustration

FOR WINTERIZATION: Close the seacock, remove the quick release plug and insert the service adaptor (included). Anti-freeze can be pumped into the cooling system.

FOR SYSTEM FLUSHING: Close the seacock and insert the service adaptor. Dockside water can be used to flush the cooling system with the engine running at idle speed. See Illustration.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	groco ssc.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	37108  
Old 07-02-2012, 22:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Take a look at the Groco Safety Seacock Conversion:

Add an SSC to the top of any seacock to allow instant emergency bilge pumping, or to simplify winterization and cooling system flushing.

IN AN EMERGENCY: While the connected engine is running, close the seacock and remove the quick release plug. Excess bilge water will be pumped overboard by the engine raw water pump. Add GROCO Bilge Strainer to pump out remote bilge locations. See Illustration

FOR WINTERIZATION: Close the seacock, remove the quick release plug and insert the service adaptor (included). Anti-freeze can be pumped into the cooling system.

FOR SYSTEM FLUSHING: Close the seacock and insert the service adaptor. Dockside water can be used to flush the cooling system with the engine running at idle speed. See Illustration.

I think that is just the ticket. Thanks Parks
Old 07-02-2012, 22:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Get a belt driven pump with an electrical clutch that you can drive from your engine. Being a pump killer I would worry you would kill your raw water pump and your expensive engine.
Deep, I forgot to add that I killed the seawater pump at the dock before I left on the passage.

I have a V-drive. In order to add a pump like you are talking I would have to pull the engine.

Going way off topic. One of my long term projects is to install a large hatch in the cockpit floor for engine maintenance.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, engine