Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 14:46   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Emergency Engine Driven Bilge Pump

I really like the idea of those shaft pumps but the one draw back that I see is that the engine has to be in gear for it to work. If the damage is forward you won't want to be moving forward. Of course the pump will work just as well with the engine in reverse. That can have it's own problems. You don't need electric service for belt driven pumps with clutches. They are available with manual clutches as well as electric. I see John types faster than I do!
Old 08-02-2012, 15:14   #32

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight

I'm doing a re-power, and the new engine is a Beta 60, and we got it with an engine-driven emergency bilge pump running off one of the PTO's. Using the bilge/seacock idea won't throw much water, and if there is anything in the bilge you didn't find with your shop vac, you surely will kill your engine just when you really need it.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:07   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
I'm doing a re-power, and the new engine is a Beta 60, and we got it with an engine-driven emergency bilge pump running off one of the PTO's. Using the bilge/seacock idea won't throw much water, and if there is anything in the bilge you didn't find with your shop vac, you surely will kill your engine just when you really need it.

Sounds like the way to go with new vessel.

Do you mind letting us know what the cost of the Beta 60 was with pump without fitting.

Thanks
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 21:29   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"and if there is anything in the bilge you didn't find with your shop vac, you surely will kill your engine just when you really need it."

Why does everybody assume that bilge water is more likely to kill an engine than ocean water? I've seen sea strainers blocked with sea weed, plastic bags and jelly fish, none of which are in my bilge. If the engine overheats, the alarm goes off and it's pretty easy to clean the strainer anyway. If the water covers the air intake on the engine, I lose it for sure. I'd rather take a miniscule risk of overheating the engine than sinking.

"Using the bilge/seacock idea won't throw much water,"
The 1-1/4" pump on my engine will move about as much water as a Rule 1500 electric. Even a little 3/4" pump on a small engine should just about match a Rule 500. on my little 28 foot boat I have two Rule 500s and one Rule 3500 electric pumps. An additional 1000 to 1300 gph from my engine pump is not insignificant. It cost less to rig my engine pump for emergency bilge pumping than it would to install a Rule 1500 with it's hose, switch and thru-hull.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:17   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If these pumps had been sitting dry for a long time and were suddenly being used for the first time in years during your passage, you've learned something important about pumps. You can't let pumps sit for long periods and then expect them to work once you need them.

Conversely, if the circumstances described above do not apply to your situation, then losing four pumps in one passage is most probably a case of demonic possession. If this is the case, sell the boat immediately.
Old 08-02-2012, 22:25   #36

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

or call in a priest
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44   #37

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"and if there is anything in the bilge you didn't find with your shop vac, you surely will kill your engine just when you really need it."

Why does everybody assume that bilge water is more likely to kill an engine than ocean water? I've seen sea strainers blocked with sea weed, plastic bags and jelly fish, none of which are in my bilge. If the engine overheats, the alarm goes off and it's pretty easy to clean the strainer anyway. If the water covers the air intake on the engine, I lose it for sure. I'd rather take a miniscule risk of overheating the engine than sinking.

"Using the bilge/seacock idea won't throw much water,"
The 1-1/4" pump on my engine will move about as much water as a Rule 1500 electric. Even a little 3/4" pump on a small engine should just about match a Rule 500. on my little 28 foot boat I have two Rule 500s and one Rule 3500 electric pumps. An additional 1000 to 1300 gph from my engine pump is not insignificant. It cost less to rig my engine pump for emergency bilge pumping than it would to install a Rule 1500 with it's hose, switch and thru-hull.
If you saw in my one post..I did say that power vessels with larger engines may see a bigger benefit due to thier larger capacity pumps.

My 135hp Ford lehhman only has a pump with a 1" intake and unless I'm letting her scream...not that much water is being moved...yes about the the same as a well installed Rule 500...but nowhere near a 1000 pump.

The average sailboat engine probably has a 1" or smaller discharge so I can only assume about the same.

So again I'll say that using an engine pump for an emergency isn't a bad idea (though in all the panic someone better keep an eye on it)...but you need so much more capacity than the engine pump on most boats it should be the last place to put your money and effort when buying and setting up bilge pumping systems.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24   #38
CFR

I like to recommend again because already earlier sid buy a auxilary petrol pump as a insurance, if you are really in trouble also you engine my die due to flooding so a idenpendent system will be allways better.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I really like the idea of those shaft pumps but the one draw back that I see is that the engine has to be in gear for it to work. If the damage is forward you won't want to be moving forward. Of course the pump will work just as well with the engine in reverse. That can have it's own problems. You don't need electric service for belt driven pumps with clutches. They are available with manual clutches as well as electric. I see John types faster than I do!
Alas, as a centrifugal pump it won't work in reverse.

Carhop's and John's points about boat speed, actual flow rate and manual clutch taken.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44

Upside if you put a tee in the intake. Easy to flush and winterize. Cheap. Can be used in an emergency to help pump the boat out. Down side you might suck up something into the pump if you dont have a strainer and thus kill the pump/emgine.
Have adequate working properly wired bilge pumps. Use the tee for winterizing and dire emergency.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

psneeld, I agree, emergency use only and diminishing returns the smaller the engine. I did it on my boat because I've about maxed out my electric pump space and I'd hate to see a pump not doing it's share in an emergency. I've even given some thought to quickly converting my maserator pump to a bilge pump in an emergency. That idea needs a lot more thought.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11   #42

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Actually, a simple Y-valve and length of hose can convert the Lavac I own to a bilge pump. It occured to me that it might make a decent sump pump for the nearby shower sump rather than the Johnson 12VDC pump I was thinking of installing, but I realized I'd either need a pretty parsimonious shower experience, or a pretty big pan, or I would have to start pumping halfway through the shower.

(None of those conditions is a deal-breaker, actually. In tropical areas, I would prefer to keep the humidity outside and rig screens for a shower stall in the cockpit and let the grey water out the scuppers.)
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27   #43

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
psneeld, I agree, emergency use only and diminishing returns the smaller the engine. I did it on my boat because I've about maxed out my electric pump space and I'd hate to see a pump not doing it's share in an emergency. I've even given some thought to quickly converting my maserator pump to a bilge pump in an emergency. That idea needs a lot more thought.

Don't forget the shower sump too if you have one!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:19   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I like to recommend again because already earlier sid buy a auxilary petrol pump as a insurance, if you are really in trouble also you engine my die due to flooding so a idenpendent system will be allways better.
The one big problem with these pumps is the gasoline we have now-a days. Leave the gas pump sit longer than 6 months and presto...clogged jets. When I worked at a yard in Kona, Hi., twice, boats which were taking on water at an alarming rate, after scrambling to pull the pump out of storage, it would not start. Even after running it dry. The idle and main jets in the gas pumps are really tiny. I guess if you ran them 2 times a month, it might be a different story.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03   #45

Boat: Moody 376

Someone on another thread suggested getting a mains powered submersible pump... you could then hook that up to your Honda generator (which should get used enough for you to be able to rely on it)... Sounded a good idea to me...
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, engine