Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 13:15   #1

Eliminating seacocks

I have a couple seacocks that I would like to move to a different place, and a couple more that are unnecessary and I want to just eliminate them. What's the best way to plug the hole in the fiberglass?
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:27   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Eliminating seacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
I have a couple seacocks that I would like to move to a different place, and a couple more that are unnecessary and I want to just eliminate them. What's the best way to plug the hole in the fiberglass?
Haul the boat out of the water... ;-)

Seriously though, the best thing to do is remove the old sea-cock, use a grinder to feather the hole, then laminate in layers of fiberglass mat cut in successively larger circles. Do this until you have a thickness equivalent to the original laminate. Once the resin is cured, you can sand and fair the patch, and finally paint it with your favorite bottom coating.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that show this being done. I plan on doing this myself when I next haul my boat. In the meantime, close the sea-cock and plug the opening with a soft wooden bung.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote