Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 18:31   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Electrical Wire Splicing

I am finishing up my windlass installation and am trying to wire the foot switches, the cockpit switch and the hand controls. As all the connections for the 4 switches are the same the maker said it would be ok to splice the wires and hook them up to the relay box.(the connection on the relay box is a spade connector for a 16 to 18 AGW) My question is: "is there a ABYC procedure for splicing wires? Is there a marine type wire splice? Any and all help is appreciated.
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 19:26   #2
Eternal Member

Use either Ancor or 3M heat shrink butt connectors (red) or other butt connectors with adhesive heat shrink tubing over.

For the 3M connectors it's best to use a proper crimp tool for heat shrink connectors (wide surface in the jaws...doesn't cut thru the heat shrink tubing).

The idea is to make a solid splice which will be waterproof.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:13   #3

I would put ring terminals on all the ends of the wires and put in a bus bar or a terminal strip to make the connections. When you inevitably needs to take something apart you won't have to cut the wires and then possibly end up with wires too short to reconnect.

That's my preference anyway.
Old 10-08-2010, 13:07   #4

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Use either Ancor or 3M heat shrink butt connectors (red) or other butt connectors with adhesive heat shrink tubing over. ...............
Yes but ................ The color is related to the size of the wires to be spliced. Go to West Marine and get the butt splices appropriate for the size wire you are using. Red is 18 - 22 gauge, Blue is 14-16 gauge, Yellow is 10 - 12 gauge. You can also get butt splices for larger wire and cable and splices to join different sized wires.

The adhesive lined heat shrink ones are the best as noted. After you crimp them (with an appripriate crimping tool, not a pair of vise grips), you heat the heat shrink tubink and it shrinks over the connection keeping moisture and water out. Properly done, it is waterproof.
Old 10-08-2010, 14:26   #5

What I need is to have a connector that can take 2 foot switch wires, one hand controler wire and one cockpit switch wire into one side and one wire out to the relay. I don't want to use "T" Tap splices, Quick splices or Tap in connectors if I don't have to.
WD
Old 10-08-2010, 14:42   #6

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Ice, you got the correct answer from Patrick. Crimp on ring terminals, and use a terminal strip such as this: 65 Ampere Terminal Blocks - Blue Sea Systems , stacking no more than two ring terminals on each screw. Link adjacent terminals with these: Terminal Block Jumpers - Blue Sea Systems PS, you cant really use butt splices to join more than two wires at a time, as they wont seal right, and they're not made for it...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 15:29   #7

Ancor does make a three-way: ANCOR MARINE Connector at West Marine

Not that I'd use it, I think. A terminal strip is better.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Ice, you got the correct answer from Patrick. Crimp on ring terminals, and use a terminal strip such as this: 65 Ampere Terminal Blocks - Blue Sea Systems , stacking no more than two ring terminals on each screw. Link adjacent terminals with these: Terminal Block Jumpers - Blue Sea Systems PS, you cant really use butt splices to join more than two wires at a time, as they wont seal right, and they're not made for it...
Well yes, after he restated the question.

The original post was "My question is: "is there a ABYC procedure for splicing wires? Is there a marine type wire splice?" The answer of course is to use butt connectors to splice wires.

If you want the correct answer, you have to ask the correct question.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
Ancor does make a three-way: ANCOR MARINE Connector at West Marine

Not that I'd use it, I think. A terminal strip is better.
You can use standard butt connectors to splice up to four wires (two on each end) by using a larger size butt connector. It would be very rare that this would be needed, but it will be fine.

The Anchor connector above is not insulated in the center.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You can use standard butt connectors to splice up to four wires (two on each end) by using a larger size butt connector.
First, I understood the original post because I understand how these things work, and second, can you quote the ABYC code for using multiple wires in a buttsplice?

Old 10-08-2010, 16:27   #11

Yes I know Patrick is right. First and foremost safety, then conveinance. Because I know that when things go wrong, they will during a big blow of which I'm dragging anchor and be 20 yards from the rocks all because I've got some jury rigged crap up front and will not be able to raise the anchor because I was to lazy to do it right the first time. I was just hoping someone had a brillant idea that most no one ever heard of. A terminal block it is.
WD
Old 10-08-2010, 17:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
Because I know that when things go wrong, they will during a big blow of which I'm dragging anchor and be 20 yards from the rocks all because I've got some jury rigged crap up front and will not be able to raise the anchor because I was to lazy to do it right the first time.
Jeez, I hope not...

Old 10-08-2010, 17:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
First, I understood the original post because I understand how these things work,
Well, you are really special.

Quote:
and second, can you quote the ABYC code for using multiple wires in a buttsplice?
I don't need to. Why don't you just go ahead and quote where and why it's not permitted?
Old 10-08-2010, 17:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
Yes I know Patrick is right. First and foremost safety, then conveinance. Because I know that when things go wrong, they will during a big blow of which I'm dragging anchor and be 20 yards from the rocks all because I've got some jury rigged crap up front and will not be able to raise the anchor because I was to lazy to do it right the first time. I was just hoping someone had a brillant idea that most no one ever heard of. A terminal block it is.
WD
There are situations where a terminal block is appropriate and situations where it is not. "Splicing" wires does not require a terminal block. "Splicing", by definition, is joining two conductors together. One would "splice" the power lead from the boat's electrical system to the pigtail on a bilge pump. One would not typically install a terminal block. A splice can be made waterproof. A terminal block cannot.
Old 10-08-2010, 17:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, you are really special.
OK, here goes. I found your previous post about the OP to be unnecessarily offensive. I find this quoted post to be offensive. I have also read some of your other posts, and found them insulting and offensive to other posters. I have seen it suggested here that the "Camano Troll" listed in your signature might be your actual profession. I'm not going to play this game...trust me.

The OP asked for an ABYC approved method. He has the right, and he's smart to know how important it is.