Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 18:06   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Electric Halyard Winch

whilst i haven't been on cf this week managed to build this to fit on the front of the mast,(70 ft) for hauling up the genoas and main both weigh between 50 and 70 kilos.
whinch is a lewmar 24v 1000w,used a battery on off switch insteaed of the lewmar solenoid and push switch as need both hands free to feed the main.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch 046.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	23095   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch 049.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	23096  

Name:	winch 059.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	23097   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch 071.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	23098  

Name:	winch 076.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	23099  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 02:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Electric Halyard Winch

How did this work out?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 09:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
How did this work out?
it worked great,but ended up fitting the winch on my catamaran as a second anchor windlass.

the only improvement would have been to have fitted a foot switch to leave your hands free rather than just an on off switch.
Old 30-07-2018, 17:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it worked great,but ended up fitting the winch on my catamaran as a second anchor windlass.

the only improvement would have been to have fitted a foot switch to leave your hands free rather than just an on off switch.
So no electic halyard winch now.. I ask because I'm looking at options for replacing my wire winch.. and wondering if electric might be figured into the mix..
Old 30-07-2018, 17:45   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Consider use of a milwaukee angle drill and winch bit (or its many equivalents). Much less expensive that even one electric winch, and works on ALL your winches.

I consider ours to be one of the best investments I've ever made for our boat.

Jim
Old 30-07-2018, 18:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So no electic halyard winch now.. I ask because I'm looking at options for replacing my wire winch.. and wondering if electric might be figured into the mix..
as an open capstan winch it would not really be suitable for wire,but would handle dyneema kevlar okay if used instead of wire.

the problem with wire, is it is really is best handled under tension on a drum,with the wire coiling on it's self on the drum.

wire under load around a capstan very quickly develops a "memory" and becomes very difficult to store loose on deck as i'm sure you are aware.

however if the capstan was removed and the motor and concentric gearbox were used to power a drum this would probably work, though as the winch is about 40:1 ratio,and has a quite fast rate of retrieval it might need further gearing down using a cog ,chain and sprocket with a clutch. on the drum for releasing as you would find on a conventional hand operated wire drum winch.

alternatively the electric winch could be wired with two twin polled solenoids to run in forward and reverse with out a clutch on the drum.

probably the housing and drive 1"shaft would be quite easy to fit and modify by any machine shop to power a standard handle operated wire drum winch
Old 30-07-2018, 18:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am Jim.. I've read much about using them.. some written by you I believe..
While I've got you on the hook.. what do you know about self tailing verses non when it comes to mast mounted halyard winches.. I keep see people saying you dont need self tailing and havent figured out why.. thoughts?
Old 30-07-2018, 19:10   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good stuff atoll, thanks.. I'm going to ditch the wire.. and go with a line halyard.. I think I'll be going with the cordless angle drill as Jim suggests.. I like that I can use it on my other winches ... I'll be trying to figure out what winch to go with next.. and how to mount it.. my main is around 450 sq ft.. when the new mast was installed they tried to talk me into changing the winch.. but my dad manage to convince me to keep it.. however the mast builder said I'd eventually change it so installed a shive that would be suitable for wire of line.. so that shouldn't be an issue.. I hope@
Old 31-07-2018, 02:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good stuff atoll, thanks.. I'm going to ditch the wire.. and go with a line halyard.. I think I'll be going with the cordless angle drill as Jim suggests.. I like that I can use it on my other winches ... I'll be trying to figure out what winch to go with next.. and how to mount it.. my main is around 450 sq ft.. when the new mast was installed they tried to talk me into changing the winch.. but my dad manage to convince me to keep it.. however the mast builder said I'd eventually change it so installed a shive that would be suitable for wire of line.. so that shouldn't be an issue.. I hope@
this type of windlass would work great in a cockpit with all your rope lines led to it and terminated through rope clutches so it could be used for multiple functions.

with the set up i suggested in my last post, i was thinking more in terms of use for your cargo dhow, where at the base of the mast it could be used not only for lifting the lanteen boom and sail,but also for cargo etc.

on a yacht captive wire winches are really only suited to holding things like a roller furler aloft or the topping lift on a boom.

FYI with the use of rope clutches on the mast ,a standard or self tailing winch mounted on the mast can be used for multiple halyards.
Old 31-07-2018, 03:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

my coach roof configuration doesent really lend well to leading lines from the mast to the cockpit.. it can be done but with more turning blocks and fairleads and clutter than I really want... I do have great granny bars and dont mind going to the mast...
The dhow... my lovely dhow.. it was perfect in transporting the cargo I needed to the island of Mayun... Just after the war started in 2015 I managed to sell it for exactly what I had in it... except for my heart of course. [emoji849]
Old 31-07-2018, 03:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
my coach roof configuration doesent really lend well to leading lines from the mast to the cockpit.. it can be done but with more turning blocks and fairleads and clutter than I really want... I do have great granny bars and dont mind going to the mast...
The dhow... my lovely dhow.. it was perfect in transporting the cargo I needed to the island of Mayun... Just after the war started in 2015 I managed to sell it for exactly what I had in it... except for my heart of course. [emoji849]
sorry to hear about the dhow,it is really terrible what is happening in yemen.

good quality rope clutch's, combined with cleats and a self tailing winch is a great way to handle multiple halyards at the mast
Old 31-07-2018, 03:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks atoll..
Old 31-07-2018, 03:37   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I am Jim.. I've read much about using them.. some written by you I believe..
While I've got you on the hook.. what do you know about self tailing verses non when it comes to mast mounted halyard winches.. I keep see people saying you dont need self tailing and havent figured out why.. thoughts?
James, I wish I had ST winches on the mast. Hoisting a sail single handed is a pain if you have to tail the winch. When new they are only a few more quid, now it would cost me a fortune to change the mast winches.

We need a contact in the Carib with all those smashed boats.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 04:01   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As it stands now I'm looking at a ST Anderson..
yep.. should be lots of used goodie available in the Caribbean.. wonder who sorts that stuff out..

Tags
halyard, winch