Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Catalina
Posts: 57
Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Hi Folks,

I did something stupid (yet again) today !!

While removing the ritchie compass from my edson steering pedestal, I dropped a large stainless steel bolt right down in to the depths of the pedestal !

I am yet to find anything long enough to fish it out with..... (any suggestions ??)

In the mean time, im concerned that the bolt, when moved, could foul the streeing system and am hence reticent to use the boat unitl ive removed the bolt...... Is this a valid concern ?

Also, if I were to use the boat, and this bolt somehow shifted and jammed.... would I be able to use the emergency tiller, or would this also be jamed ?

(Boat is a Catalina 30 Mk2)

Thanks !
__________________

__________________
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49   #2
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Topper,

Amazon.com : Crenova iScope 2.0 Megapixel CMOS HD USB Endoscope Waterproof Handheld Borescope Digital Inspection Camera Snake Camera(5 Meter Cable) : Camera & Photo

Endless uses on a boat... If you want a stand alone without need of a laptop, Amazon and HF have them...

That, a dowel, and a pack of gum... And your're in business!

If you're using your E-tiller, that means the "connection" from your post to the wheel is busted... so most likely not... BUT...

If you leave the bolt down there, it's going to jam next 4th of July as you're coming into the slip. The the dock will of course be at maximum standing capacity of highly intoxicated and very interested observers... There will be a band too... "A La Titanic"... The anxiety panic of the locked wheel with a bearing directly at the most expensive boat in the marina will cause you to accidentally increase throttle when you mean to back off, and after realizing it, an emergency gear change to reverse at 2500, whereby there will be a tremendous bang and the associated giant puff of black smoke just in case there were a few observers who were unaware... directly proceeding the crunch...
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Hi TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperHarley View Post
I did something stupid (yet again) today !!

Welcome to the club

While removing the ritchie compass from my edson steering pedestal, I dropped a large stainless steel bolt right down in to the depths of the pedestal !

I am yet to find anything long enough to fish it out with..... (any suggestions ??)


If you can see it and it isn't jammed in tight most SS is mildly magnetic so a strong magnet on a stick or string might rescue it. Just lift slowly and carefully since it won't be held to the magnet very strongly. Also, you can't get to the underside of the pedestal to retrieve it from below? Another suggestion, if there's a Harbor Freight nearby they have various types and sizes of grabbers and pickup tools.

In the mean time, im concerned that the bolt, when moved, could foul the streeing system and am hence reticent to use the boat unitl ive removed the bolt...... Is this a valid concern ?

YES!!!!

Also, if I were to use the boat, and this bolt somehow shifted and jammed.... would I be able to use the emergency tiller, or would this also be jamed ?

Yes it would unless you disconnect the steering cables from the rudder quadrant. Not possible if the jam happens 20' from the pier and you're on a collision course in a matter of seconds.

(Boat is a Catalina 30 Mk2)

Thanks !
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Catalina
Posts: 57
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

hahahah thankyou for your good humored replies !!

I have looked for all sorts of claw type pickup tools but none ive found are long enough... I didnt even consider something as simple as a dowel and some gum !!

Thankyou... Ill be off to try that tomorrow !!
__________________
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 301
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Have you checked for a removable panel in the overhead of the aft cabin that allows access to the steering quadrant ? Some of the later C30's(MKIII?) have a removable panel in the cockpit deck just aft the pedestal to allow access to the base and the quadrant. Anyway, I'd start looking for access at the bottom and work up.
I would feel uncomfortable doing anything until that bolt was found and removed.
__________________
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperHarley View Post
I have looked for all sorts of claw type pickup tools but none ive found are long enough... I didnt even consider something as simple as a dowel and some gum !!
I bought a 3' claw type grabber at Harbor Freight. If you can reach in with your hand just a bit from the top that should be long enough.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:28   #7
Registered User
 
OS2Dude's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 144
Images: 5
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

On my 1985 Catalina 30 Mk-I I can get to the underside of the pedestal from the quarter berth. There is a screwed on cover that when removed lets me have full access to the bottom of the pedestal.
__________________
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Homeport: Oswego, NY
Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113
Posts: 351
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

If the gum doesn't work, try some duct taped folded back on it self.

If that doesn't work get some 5 minute epoxy putty. Mix it, put a wad on a stick and epoxy the bolt to the stick.

Been there done that.
__________________
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Welcome to "You are screwed" club. Good time to take apart your pedestal and reseal, lubricate, and generally check things out. Usually a lot of pedestals will have a small "door" at the base for such goofs. If not, no sense in messing up your cables. Its easy to do and will take time; but your a sailor, so you got lots of time.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:47   #10
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
On my 1985 Catalina 30 Mk-I I can get to the underside of the pedestal from the quarter berth. There is a screwed on cover that when removed lets me have full access to the bottom of the pedestal.
^^^^^^^^

Have you looked? You really "should have" access to the idler wheels below the pedestal. Good luck.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:54   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 900
Images: 2
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

If you removed only the compass the next "section" of the pedestal also should be removable, giving you another 6" of open space.

If you can see it with a flashlight you should then be able to grab it with the HF grabby tool.
__________________
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:19   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East shore Mobile Bay AL
Boat: ODAY 28
Posts: 374
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

most pedestals have large holes for the cables to pass through, I said most, if you can shine a power full light down the pedestal and use a long dowel to push it to the opening, your steering is connected to the emergency steering good luck
__________________
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:30   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Catalina
Posts: 57
Re: Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Thanks so much for all the advice ! IM heading down to the boat today armed with a length of dowel, some gum and a big magnet (just incase) !
__________________
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:28   #14
Registered User
 
Golden Echo's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delaware City, Delaware
Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
Posts: 68
Re: Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperHarley View Post
Hi Folks,

I did something stupid (yet again) today !!

While removing the ritchie compass from my edson steering pedestal, I dropped a large stainless steel bolt right down in to the depths of the pedestal !

I am yet to find anything long enough to fish it out with..... (any suggestions ??)

In the mean time, im concerned that the bolt, when moved, could foul the streeing system and am hence reticent to use the boat unitl ive removed the bolt...... Is this a valid concern ?

Also, if I were to use the boat, and this bolt somehow shifted and jammed.... would I be able to use the emergency tiller, or would this also be jamed ?

(Boat is a Catalina 30 Mk2)

Thanks !
Can you see the bolt? If yes get any long stick like a dowel and put a wad of butyl tape on the end. Push said wad against said bolt and lift it out. What?? No butyl tape. West Marine sells it for not a bad price. This stuff is just about as handy as duct tape��.
__________________
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:32   #15
Registered User
 
Golden Echo's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delaware City, Delaware
Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
Posts: 68
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Topper,

Amazon.com : Crenova iScope 2.0 Megapixel CMOS HD USB Endoscope Waterproof Handheld Borescope Digital Inspection Camera Snake Camera(5 Meter Cable) : Camera & Photo

Endless uses on a boat... If you want a stand alone without need of a laptop, Amazon and HF have them...

That, a dowel, and a pack of gum... And your're in business!

If you're using your E-tiller, that means the "connection" from your post to the wheel is busted... so most likely not... BUT...

If you leave the bolt down there, it's going to jam next 4th of July as you're coming into the slip. The the dock will of course be at maximum standing capacity of highly intoxicated and very interested observers... There will be a band too... "A La Titanic"... The anxiety panic of the locked wheel with a bearing directly at the most expensive boat in the marina will cause you to accidentally increase throttle when you mean to back off, and after realizing it, an emergency gear change to reverse at 2500, whereby there will be a tremendous bang and the associated giant puff of black smoke just in case there were a few observers who were unaware... directly proceeding the crunch...
And don't forget wind and current will be against you!!
__________________

__________________
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
edson, emergency, enc, pedestal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Edson Pedestal Table and drink holders Zach Classifieds Archive 0 10-11-2014 12:21
For Sale: Edson Complete Pedestal and Steering Wheel malbert73 Classifieds Archive 8 13-02-2012 19:28
Running Wires Outside of Pedestal and not in Pedestal Guard Chief Engineer Marine Electronics 18 14-04-2011 20:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.