Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 422
Edson engine controls

The engine control levers (model 870) are very stiff and hard to move (disconnected from the control cables). I've been soaking them with lube to try and free them up, with a little improvement, but not much. Anybody know how those are held in place? I'm thinking if I can get the levers out, I can clean them up and then relube them with teflon.

I found the installation instructions online, but no help there. Wanted to get them reinstalled this weekend, but may have to wait to call Edson during the week.

Thanks
greg
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58   #2

Boat: Pearson 422, 42ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird
The engine control levers (model 870) are very stiff and hard to move (disconnected from the control cables). I've been soaking them with lube to try and free them up, with a little improvement, but not much. Anybody know how those are held in place? I'm thinking if I can get the levers out, I can clean them up and then relube them with teflon.

I found the installation instructions online, but no help there. Wanted to get them reinstalled this weekend, but may have to wait to call Edson during the week.

Thanks
greg
I am also interested in this topic. The solution may help me as I have the opposite problem. My levers are too loose so the throttle slowly slips back as we are motoring.

Dylan
Blissopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Edson engine controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissopia View Post
I am also interested in this topic. The solution may help me as I have the opposite problem. My levers are too loose so the throttle slowly slips back as we are motoring.

Dylan
Friction adjustment screws in the internal bosses are accessed vertically from above, by removing the top plate.
Old 06-05-2012, 14:45   #4

Thanks Blue Stocking.
Gary do you think loosening the friction screws will help you?
Old 06-05-2012, 17:21   #5

I found and removed the friction screws. But no joy. I'm actually using the friction screw holes as the oil port to soaking the shaft with oil and penetrating fluid. Guess I have to be patient and keep soaking everything to free them up.

Dylan - the friction screws are pretty easy to get to. Remove the 2 screws holding the compass light in place. The light will push to the center and the sheet metal binnacle will lift right off. The friction screws are then easily visible. Will take either a long slender regular screwdriver or maybe a flexible one. Or you could pull the compass (1 clamp bolt) and the compass base (4 hex bolts) to provide easy access. If you're in there anyway, might be worth pulling it all to lube the top of the control cables and to inspect the steering chain.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15   #6

Just got off the phone with Edson and thought I'd pass along what I learned. They were refreshingly helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

The control shafts pass through delrin bushings. Those bushings occasionally swell up and bind the shafts as they pass through the housing. No amount of oil will help. The bushings have to be replaced.

The 2 phillips screws are retaining screws that fit in a slot on the control shafts. If there is a friction screw, it's a hex head on just the throttle side.

They also recommended, while everything is apart and access is easier, to inspect the bracket that holds the cable housings. If it is nylon, it could age and break, rendering the cables useless.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10   #7

Thanks for doing the research Greg.

Tags
edson, engine