Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 07:04   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stuart Fl
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 692
Edson CDI sterring system

Need some input on the Edson CDI sterring system.Anybody familiar with it?
Thank you
__________________

__________________
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:10   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Posts: 3,755
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Need some input on the Edson CDI sterring system.Anybody familiar with it?
Thank you
I have it. What do you want to know?
__________________

__________________
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:46   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stuart Fl
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 692
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I have it. What do you want to know?
Thanks,Good or not Good,play in system.Strength?Do you need a NEW Pedestal? Price installed appx,
Thanks Dave
__________________
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 08:18   #4
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Posts: 3,755
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Thanks,Good or not Good,play in system.Strength?Do you need a NEW Pedestal? Price installed appx,
Thanks Dave
Excellent system and terrific company behind it.

No play in system at all - essentially a direct 'tiller feel'. We switched from a Whitlock/Lewmar draglink system which had become sloppy and no amount of shimming sorted it out. The Edson system seems like it was specifically designed to eliminate the weaknesses and slop potential in the Whitlock system.

These drag link systems have two basic strengths: (1) is that you have a simple direct connection to the rudder, pretty much like a tiller. So you have lots of direct rudder feel. And (2) is that once set-up properly they really don't require any adjustment, and don't have cables to drop off or break. The weakness is that if you have a major catastrophic accident and do somehow break a major piece of the system they are near impossible to jury rig back into operation - you will need a replacement piece made. But that sort of damage has never (yet) happened to us and we have truly abused it.

Yes, I would imagine you need a new pedestal. The pedestal contains a bevel geared shaft that is they key to the whole system.

Price, I don't remember. Everything on a boat is expensive, but I do remember thinking it was not too insulting a price.
__________________
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:18   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stuart Fl
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 692
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Excellent system and terrific company behind it.

No play in system at all - essentially a direct 'tiller feel'. We switched from a Whitlock/Lewmar draglink system which had become sloppy and no amount of shimming sorted it out. The Edson system seems like it was specifically designed to eliminate the weaknesses and slop potential in the Whitlock system.

These drag link systems have two basic strengths: (1) is that you have a simple direct connection to the rudder, pretty much like a tiller. So you have lots of direct rudder feel. And (2) is that once set-up properly they really don't require any adjustment, and don't have cables to drop off or break. The weakness is that if you have a major catastrophic accident and do somehow break a major piece of the system they are near impossible to jury rig back into operation - you will need a replacement piece made. But that sort of damage has never (yet) happened to us and we have truly abused it.

Yes, I would imagine you need a new pedestal. The pedestal contains a bevel geared shaft that is they key to the whole system.

Price, I don't remember. Everything on a boat is expensive, but I do remember thinking it was not too insulting a price.
Thank's so much.Can you recognise any potential weak point's maybe carry a spare along,busted a chain once,no fun.
Dave
__________________
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:43   #6
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Posts: 3,755
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Thank's so much.Can you recognise any potential weak point's maybe carry a spare along,busted a chain once,no fun.
Dave
Edson does have a 'spares kit' they sell. I don't have it/not sure what's in it. I just carry two spare of the drag link rod ends. Those seem to be the only bits that have the possibility of wearing/getting sloppy.

Once on the lewmar system we bent the drag link rod (don't ask how, I hate to remember), but I just bent it back roughly straight and it worked well enough to get us somewhere we could have a new one made.

The bad bit to break would be the bevel gear inside the pedestal. That would put you out of business, but it's machined one piece stainless steel and I really think the shaft key would break before the gear and I could whip up an emergency replacement one of those with my grinder.

I should note that I have an aft cockpit with the wheel/pedestal pretty close to the rudder post. That's the best set-up for these systems because you need a straight run for the drag link rod from the tiller arm under the pedestal to a tiller arm on the rudder. And the two tiller arms need to be roughly on the same height/plane. Cable systems can be routed around obstacles but this system need a straight path.

In any case . . . I really like the system and the company.
__________________
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:57   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

The ball end joints also have limited degrees of rotation before binding. Look closely at relationship between rudder stalk angle from vertical, and pedestal vertical position, and how the drag link travels thru the hard-over to hard-over. swing.
My Rhodes Reliant has a heavily built bevel gear to cable drum system that I investigated changing to drag link, but the rudder stalk angle, ball joint limitation prevented this.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 14:48   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kimberton PA
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Posts: 573
Images: 1
Re: Edson CDI sterring system

As mentioned, you need to be careful about the rudder stock angle relative to the plane of the cockpit floor. The arm on the helm will be parallel to the cockpit floor, but the rudder stock arm may not be. I believe on a Cabo Rico 38, that angle is either very close to or more than what is recommended.
__________________

__________________
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cdi, edson

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.