Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 06:08   #1

Boat: UFO34
Edson CDi Steering System Feedback

Does anyone have an Edson CDi steering system who can provide me with some feedback / thoughts.

By way of background::
I have a UFO 34ft yacht which I am thinking of converting from tiller to wheel. I'm not keen on doing a chain / wire instalation due to difficulty in accessing the rudder shaft tube, and need to cut the tube for the quadrant to go on, and fit a stuffing box to make the tube watertight. It's all too difficult given what's already under the cockpit (fuel tank and engine).

The existing rudder shaft comes through the back of the cockpit floor, so I was thinking of placing the pedestal in front of it by say 15" and fitting the steering linkage and tiller arms above the cockpit floor, but under a raised grate floor panel. Sure, I will lose some depth in that area, but no major problem. This way, the whole instalation is not difficult from an access perspective, and not creating potential for leaks (rudder shaft tube or cockpit).
I do need to work out whether there is room for all the linkage pieces to fit, and sufficient swing room for the mini-tiller arms. I'll communicate with Edson about that if i proceed.

My sailing is limited to Saturday afternoon racing, and some longer trips where I would be at the wheel for no more than say 6 hours. I do not intend to use autopilot, and I usually sail in winds of 10 to 30 kts.

So assuming I can instal this system, let me know what your thoughts are. (eg. ease of use, turning circle, maintenance and reliability, etc.)

I note from the Edson web site that the system seems to have a ~1.8 turn lock to lock. Is this a possitive or negative issue?
Thanks

Ashley
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:16   #2

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Edson CDi steering system feedback

I sit with a similar problem where I want to convert from wire to rod&pinion. There is too much elasticity in the wire to steer in comfort.

Yoy may look on the JEFA webiste for a system of your choice. There are a few diagrams/drawings of certain possibilities.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, edson, steering