I used the Petit Ultima Eco this year on the Chesapeake, Lower Potomac
primarily. I thought I would relay my experience with the product so far. I want to state right off that I knew that this is a new product and it did not have any history
behind it and that the Practical Sailor tests on it were only a couple of months of testing and not a long-term testing. I wanted to try it, I knew I was a guinnea pig.
I stripped off my existing bottom paint
down to the barrier coat, applied an additional barrier coat (I have had small blisters
and wanted to keep them in check), let dry. I then applied a hard copper bottom paint as a tie-coat. let dry. Applied two coats of Eco as directed by the manufacturer with a 1/4" nap. After a full week of dry time, it was still soft to a fingernail. This was in mid April when the temps were in the upper 60's to mid 70's and no rain. I had a time constraint with the boatyard and needed to get wet. We went ahead and launched eventhough the paint was still a little soft. The slings damaged the paint slightly but left enough intact so I wasn't really concerned with that.
Sometime in mid-late June, the soft growth was noticable, so I dove on it and scrubbed. No hard growth though.
Scrubbed again in late July, soft growth only.
Today, in early November, it has a nice layer of soft growth but no barnacles yet.
In conclusion, I think there is some "tweaking" to do on the product before I would use it again. I have been a Petit fan for a very long time using Trinidad and regular Ultima so I am a bit dissapointed with the Ultima Eco but again, I knew I was experimenting with it.
I spoke to the Petit people at the Annapolis boat show
and they said they would send someone down when I pulled the boat so they could determine the poor results. They also indicated that it may not have had enough time to dry between coats and therefore never set up. My thought is that if this paint is this hard and temperamental to work with....I stick with the old stuff!!!