Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2017, 03:29   #16
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Re: Dyneema or Wire Rope Davit Falls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
One small point is terminating onto the winch drum, any force with no wraps can slowly undo a stopper knot though that shouldn't affect your application.
Just fyi . . . there is one (and only one as far as I am aware/tested) special purpose stopper which will not slip in dyneema - EStar Stopper | How to tie an EStar Stopper Knot | Knots

Old 14-09-2017, 03:49   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just fyi . . . there is one (and only one as far as I am aware/tested) special purpose stopper which will not slip in dyneema - EStar Stopper | How to tie an EStar Stopper Knot | Knots
That's a hot tip.

What I did was this --

The old Simpson davits have a screw and nylon bushing, to hold the bitter end of the davit fall. The old wire rope falls had eyes spliced in the end for this.

I simply spliced an eye into the bitter ends of the new dyneema falls and attached them the same way as the original ones.

I also used enough dyneema rope that there are a number of turns on the drum, even when the falls are fully extended. I believe the loop and screw is for last ditch security in case the fall is wound right out to the end, but ordinarily, the friction from the turns on the drum will be what holds them.

Old 14-09-2017, 03:54   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

^^ That is nice - splice is a preferred approach. Some systems have a clamp, which is ok if well designed. And the stopper will work if that is the only option. The stopper does not slip but does reduce strength, however strength is usually not a huge issue with this application.
Old 14-09-2017, 03:56   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziak View Post
Did you change the wire to dyneema in the end? If so, can you share your experience and what modifications you ended up making. I have a pair of Simpson S225 manual davits and thinking of doing the same.
Yes, I did!

I didn't modify anything. Just made up two new dyneema falls, rather longer, and the same diameter (5mm) as the old wire ones. Eyes spliced in both ends. Put a shackle through the eye on the working end and used it just like the old one. Unlike Poiu, I kept the old weights.

It seems to work just fine. Interestingly enough, I did not use the davits at all (!) during the summer -- I deflated and stowed the dinghy on the foredeck after every single use (it is that easy).

But now that I'm back in the UK in home port, the dinghy is now hanging in them. The dyneema falls seem to be just fine, and they don't touch anything which could chafe them except two nylon rollers at the ends of the davits.

This seems to be a modification with no downside.

I hated the old wire ones, which kinked and tangled and slashed my hands with meat hooks. So I'm very pleased so far.

Edit: Another plus is that the much more flexible dyneema rope makes the action of the davits much smoother and nicer.
Old 16-09-2017, 02:06   #20

Boat: Oyster 49

Thanks Dockhead. I will do the same.

Tags
dyneema, rope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: