Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 17:37   #46

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Urine: The body's own health drink? Some folks beleave its a health drink, why waste it overboard when you can make lemmon aid of it ! Urine: The body's own health drink? - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
Please please, let's not go down that wave!
Old 21-02-2013, 17:37   #47

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Composting toilets are disgusting and are not hygienic; discard/do not use any. Peeing in the sink will eventually cause the pipes to get blocked, as urine contains minerals and crystals that get deposited in the pipes internally. Human urine, unlike sea creatures' urine, contains nitrates/ammonia/urea that kill corals; non biodegradable. Enough said! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:39   #48

Boat: Westsail 28: Clementine

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
A little clarification and request for forgiveness...

My uncouth reference above to an airhead/blonde has absolutely no relation to the lady in Virginia-boy's pic, it was intended as a fictional pun. It was when I noticed the pic and the mention of the lady's name in post #23 that my conscience plagued me. No offense intended, and if any taken, my sincere apologies. The cyber-cement sets too fast on this forum....wish I had the edit-chisel like the mods.
No offense taken ... I am currently a redhead, sometimes a brunette, but never a blonde ... and, in case Virginia Boy is reading this ... there will be NO peeing in the galley sink.
virginia girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:42   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I hesitate to ask what you do with the great big pot of goodies.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:55   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I used to have a friend who would pee over the side right in the marina or the anchorage--he'd face whichever boat in the area he liked the least. Always seemed to get away with it.
Many years ago I sat talking to the skipper's sister at Put-In Bay, Lake Erie where the state dock lagoon was rafted 12 to 20 deep (solid boats side-to-side). Just over her shoulder and on the bow of the adjacent boat was a young man, arm around the forestay, head up, pouring a beer down his throat, shorts hooked below his jewels, peeing on the guy paddling between the boats in a dinghy. I wish I had the photo. It totally defined Bay Week.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:04   #51

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Does anyone have a window in there loo... Will need a good aim.
Old 21-02-2013, 18:06   #52

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Sounds like Bay Week!!
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:58   #53

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Composting toilets are disgusting and are not hygienic; discard/do not use any. Peeing in the sink will eventually cause the pipes to get blocked, as urine contains minerals and crystals that get deposited in the pipes internally. Human urine, unlike sea creatures' urine, contains nitrates/ammonia/urea that kill corals; non biodegradable. Enough said! Mauritz
Poo soup stored inside a plastic tank leeching stink into the cabin is much better. And there is never a need to deal with hoses filled with crap on a composter...change a hose on a standard toilet and tell me that's sanitary.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:23   #54

Boat: SeaWind 850
On friend cat, sink drains straight through bridge bottom, he needs milk cradle I do not. Last one flushes. Nobody knows.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 21:45   #55

Boat: Mac 26X

I never would have been first to admit it, but I'll come on out! Yes, the head sink on our production boat was also known by my son and I as the urinal. But ONLY on a stb tack!!! Other wise it went into the porta-poti...which is only slightly less disgusting than a traditional holding tank!

My new boat has a self built composter with a much greater volume than the comecial units (crew of 5) and the urine diverter has a Y valve so I can send the pee straight overboard...when offshore...of course!
Old 21-02-2013, 21:59   #56

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
There was a time when train diner crews (cooks, stewards, etcetera) pissed in the sinks, and train cars had no holding tanks. Bathroom signs said not to flush toilets when the train was at a station.
Trains like that are still around. Three years ago I was on a Palermo - Milano night train (they put the whole train on a ferry to get it from Sicily to the mainland, quite impressive) and our sleeping compartment had a small sink in the corner, with below it a chamberpot in a tilting drawer. You did you business in the pot, then you would slide it back under the sink, tilt it up and it would drain down to the tracks. Than you would run some water through the sink which was plumbed such that the water would first run down in to the chamberpot to rince it, and then down the tracks as well.
21st century in Italy...
Beats having to get dressed in the middle of the night to go to the toilet at the end of the car.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 00:12   #57
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i think that could be a problem since the liquid may not totally evacuate down the drain unless you followed with generous amount of water. i would dump it over the side before putting it into a sink.
Old 22-02-2013, 00:37   #58

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Need I say more ...?
Old 22-02-2013, 04:05   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Trains like that are still around. Three years ago I was on a Palermo - Milano night train (they put the whole train on a ferry to get it from Sicily to the mainland, quite impressive) and our sleeping compartment had a small sink in the corner, with below it a chamberpot in a tilting drawer. You did you business in the pot, then you would slide it back under the sink, tilt it up and it would drain down to the tracks. Than you would run some water through the sink which was plumbed such that the water would first run down in to the chamberpot to rince it, and then down the tracks as well.
21st century in Italy...
Beats having to get dressed in the middle of the night to go to the toilet at the end of the car.
Same thing in Austria. Signs in the bathroom asking people not to flush at the train station. It was odd to flush while the train was moving and when the little door opened you could see the railroad ties (pardon the pun) wizz by.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 05:11   #60
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Hilarious. I can't even believe the OP was serious, for all of the reasons given. For my case, my wife would make me regret the day I was born... and I'd agree with her. Pour it down the sink rather than walk outside? Cockpit drains? Simply pitiful.

I also find myself wondering if most improved port-a-poties (AKA composting heads) aren't purchased by folks that have either never seen a properly designed and executed installation or don't understand the subtleties. The reality is that the vast majority are happy with conventional systems. Perhaps if marine head systems could be designed and installed by the manufacturer they would work better, but the reality is that some are poorly installed. I'm certain a misassembled composting head would be a mess as well.

Mess? I don't have to deal with piss or semi-compost or bugs. Clogging? Never. Before any maintaince I flush it a bunch, the last time with some vinegar, and then flush again. No mess at all.

Odor? With good hoses, 10 years plus. Proper chemicals and or vent filters eliminate that problem. Head compartment? No different than home, not even if the boat is closed up.

Maintanance? Lube and replace joker every 2 years. Replace pump and hoses every 10 years.

Pump-outs? Far less hassle than humping semi-compost and piss. I will allow that there are inland locations where this is different.

Space? Yes, a bit less with the non-portable port-a-poties. But generally holding tanks are in very low value space and the head itself is smaller.

I figure they simply don't know.

Tags
galley