Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2013, 08:02   #1

Boat: Samson C-Master
Drying slipways in Solent

Hi All,

I am considering doing some below the water line work (antifouling.. possibly change a thru hull fitting) but leaning against a drying slipway or similar instead of a haul out.

My questions are:
- where are there places in the Solent, UK to do this?
- does anyone have experience of doing this and have wisdom to share? Particularly getting the boat to sit nice against the wall. If anyone has changed a skin fitting in this way I would definitely like to hear!

My yacht is 53 ft long keel schooner.

Many thanks

Edit:
I forgot to put in my post - I have had a look around but can't find any info/resources on where to find these places. I am aware of a possible slip on the Itchen near the football stadium and another at Lymington but can't find out if you are allowed to do what I'm thinking of or if you have to pay etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Drying slipways in Solent

Duncan, your size is going to be against you. You could try Wicor Marine at the top end of Portsmouth Harbour, they have a substantial jetty to lean against. Possibly Duver Marina in Bembridge depending on your draft. Lymington Town Quay is another booked through the harbourmaster I think, chandlers over look the quay which could be useful. Saxon Wharf on the Itchen has a superb wide slip but needs a recce before hand so you land on the flat bit. Concrete wharf to lean against. Crosshouse Hard under the Itchen Bridge is another and free, but avoid when southampton are playing at home or you will never park in the area.

Used to be a small boatyard next to Marchwood Military Port, a possibility. Itchenor has scrubbing posts and a hard gavel base but not sure they would take your size.

Pete

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just seen your edit, this is a useful website:

Southampton Central inc. River Itchen [Expanded View] - Solent: pilotage, charts, photos and marine business listings

Pete
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43   #4

Boat: Samson C-Master

Hey Pete,

Thanks for that amazingly quick reply! I will have a good look and might be stopping at one of these places soon. A quick look at Wicor shows they might be a good prospect.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There's one on the Hamble which ought to work. It's at the Bursledon Land's End Hard, opposite Swanwick Marina. Substantial scrubbing posts, and I've seen boats of that size use it.

You might call the Hamble harbourmasters for details -- 01489 576387.

As to tips on how to do it -- don't ask me. I don't have the cojones to dry out my boat. I go to Sealift in Gosport (the Cowes one has been dismantled ), or just lift out at Cowes Yacht Haven. It's only 150 pounds at Cowes to lift a large boat out and hold in the slings for a while, and scrubbing off is included. It costs extra to stay overnight in the slings but you can negotiate a reasonable price.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There's one on the Hamble which ought to work. It's at the Bursledon Land's End Hard, opposite Swanwick Marina. Substantial scrubbing posts, and I've seen boats of that size use it.

You might call the Hamble harbourmasters for details -- 01489 576387.
Having spent a night digging a mates 4x4 out of the mud when he wandered slightly off the gravel into bottomless gooey mud next to the hard, I was reluctant to recommend this slip. You would need to do a recce to ensure you land on the hard and not the mud, but deffinately possible.

To add to the fun two weeks after the muddy night another friend committed hari kari and drove into the tracks left by first mate. Boarhunt heavy recovery were probably going to have a jolly good night out from the funds they made of these two. How sticky is the mud? well two 4x4s with chains couldn't drag another 4x4 out of it, oh and the tide was coming in at the time. Heavy recovery truck needed 7000kgs of pull to move it

« Paint mast? | zincs »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: