Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2006, 11:43   #1

Boat: Oday 28
Dry Teak

Hi all

We have some extremely dry teak on the interior of our 1982 28' Oday. We've tryed several types of teak sealing products and yet every thing still look bad. I have a feeling that we arn't preping the teak properly. What are your feelings on the best way to prep the Teak and which products to use.

Thanks in advance

-Alex
ScratchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 11:56   #2
Kai Nui

Strip off all the sealer and apply teak oil for a while. A couple of weeks rubbing on teak oil should bring it back. This will darken the wood a bit, but it will condition it well. To lighten it, I have done a few different things, but bleach has worked best for me. That said, I am not recommending it, as I have seen some bad results. It has worked for me though. 2 week procedure was sand, bleach (one weekend) and oild every 3 or 4 days. I do not use sealer, but if the wood looks the way you want at this point, sealer should be fine to keep it that way.
Old 18-02-2006, 12:35   #3
cruiser

Re: Dry Teak

Quote:
ScratchBC once whispered in the wind:
Hi all

We have some extremely dry teak on the interior of our 1982 28' Oday. We've tryed several types of teak sealing products and yet every thing still look bad. I have a feeling that we arn't preping the teak properly. What are your feelings on the best way to prep the Teak and which products to use.

Thanks in advance

-Alex
Kai Nui has the best procedure. However, I might ask... are you certain about what the teak's appearance should be? Dry teak is kind of an oxymoron. Teak is impregnated with lots of oils, which are what keeps the wood strong, insect proof and weather proof. I even read somewhere that if you pull a teak log out of a river in Thailand, it could have been down in the water for 150 yrs and it will still be as good as a new piece inside.

So... maybe the dry teak you are talking about is simply weathered teak. Weathered teak is a greyish color and might have a dry appearance. It is, however, quite full of oils still inside.

Some people like this look, other like oils applied, still others like a varnish or Cetol type sealant applied.

You will first want to decide what you want the teak to look like: Natural (like it is now probably), Oiled (Like Kai Nui suggests), Varnished (shiny gloss), or sealed up with a product (like Cetol). Let us know what look you want, and then we can suggest products.

There are also maintenance issues with various teak finishes. They all require different types of maintenance, but all have the same AMOUNT of maintenance.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 15:05   #4

I would like to bring back some of the rich color the boat used to have. it isn't gray but rather just kind of dusty looking, not really clean.

However, on the exterior the teak is gray which I would love to bring back to a nice golden color.

thx
Old 18-02-2006, 15:24   #5
cruiser

Ok, it sounds like it just might be dirty. There are a couple of different types of teak cleaners. There is a mild teak cleaner, and a stronger 2 part teak cleaner (both are at the dreded West Marine).

I'd start with normal, every day teak cleaner, and see if it gets the dirt off. If not, do like Kai says and strip off all sealer with the 2 part cleaner.

Then you will have bare, clean teak... a perfect canvas to either oil, or varnish, or whatever you choose for a finish.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 18:12   #6
Kai Nui

On the interior stuff, Sean is right on the money. Some teak cleaner will probably clean it up. Worst case, you might have to sand. On the exterior, it sounds like the teak has either never been varnished or Cetoled, or it has been neglected to the point where the varnish is gone. This is easy to clean up. Start with a scrub pad and water, and wash it thoroughly. This will probably give you the look you want. At this point, you can make the decision to varnish, oil or cetol or just leave it bare. All will work, but are a matter of taste. There is another thread here somewhere discussing the benefits and drawbacks to all of these options. I believe it is titled Cetol. I find that scrubbing, and oiling the teak gives a very nice look, and for hatches ad caprails, I prefer varnish to Cetol, if anything more than oil, but that is just my opinion. All methods have their benefits.
Old 18-02-2006, 19:08   #7

Thanks you guys have been very helpful. Now I have another question. Which finish lasts the longest. I have read good things about honey teak. I dont really care about a super shiny varnished finished I just want nice clean looking teak.
Old 18-02-2006, 20:48   #8
Kai Nui

That is a very subjective question because each sifferent finish goves a different look. Starting with inside. Varnish will last a very long time, and gives a glossy finish. Oil will last wel but wil require periodic reapplication. This is no more work than just wiping down the wood with a rag soaked in teak oil. The finish is not as glossy, and I prefer the appearance. I would not use Cetol inside.
Now for exterior. Cetol is a good product, and you can get it without the orange tint now. Or at least, less of an orange tint. You will have to reapply every year, but the prep work will be minimal if you keep it up. I like varnish for exterior. It is glossy, and leaves the natural yellow color. Varnish will also last about a year if done properly, depending on your location, and the wood's exposure to sun. The prep work will be a bit more. If you do not mind rubbing down the bright work once a month or so, teak oil is a very good finish for exterior. I like the classic rubbed oil look. It will have to be reapplied at least once a month. If you have teak decks, you can oil them, or just leave them bare. I prefer letting them weather gray.
Old 18-02-2006, 21:21   #9

Teaks not my cup of tea!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 22:13   #10
Kai Nui

Not supposed to drink it K
Old 18-02-2006, 22:31   #11

Benny ***king Ha Ha Kai!!

I would never want teak on my deck of the boat. It's a pain in the rear to deal with!! Never did like scrubbing anything!!

Unless, I got a great deal on a boat that had teak decking. Then I would deal with it!! That would be, the only way I would deal with it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote