Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 20:51   #1

dry rot rears its ugly head

so working on my masts stripping to do a refinish I get digging into the dry rot problem at the base of the mizzen mast. it looks worse then I hoped.

The pics are the result of about 10-15 minutes of digging and prodding

I have not done a close inspection of the rest of the masts but this seems at quick inspection to be the only bad spot.

my thought is to cut off the mast maybe a foot above the top of where I find rot and scarf in a new box underneath it. doing scarf joints on all 4 sides and another one on the brace in the middle instead of building a new mast base and doing one long scarf of the whole thing.

I am not sure how clear I am on my thoughts here are but hopefully some one understands and can tell me either .. good idea pay attention to .. .. .. whatever advice theymay have. or .. you are an idiot and should just get a new mast.. or masts ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mizzen1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	148457   Click image for larger version

Name:	mizzen2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	148458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mizzen3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	148459  
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 22:43   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: dry rot rears its ugly head

Hmm... I would repair it rather than getting a new mast -depends on what you find further up I guess.

And yes, find the extent of the rot and then 1 or 2 foot above it and stagger the scarfs.

IMO
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 08:05   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

repairing by scarfing in new wood is the best way to do it.
donot know about scarfing a box, but scarfing the individual bits works. donot scarf as a whole but piece by piece with different lengths boards not same length. you donot want a butt end finish. is a weakness.
then i would wrap the base in fg to prevent more of same-i willbe wrapping mine to the deck from step. my mizzen is stepped below deck and above keel on a delaminating transversely installed beam. oopsy. that too will be addressed--wither by epoxy and good wrapping, or replacement with wrapping. seems to be a weak spot in formosas.
i will post pix of my troubles and resolutions to same as i get to those areas of labor intensive repairing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 13:45   #4

thank you for the replies. my research had brought up pretty much what you all said but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything stupid.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 16:08   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I saw a similar situation come up while in the yard for six months. The glue joints above the dry rot were deemed unsafe. An entirely new spar was constructed and the usable hardware cleaned and re used the rest was scrapped.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rot