Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 17:59   #16

Boat: Hirondelle 23 catamaran 1994
Re: Dried wood on wheel

Some of the cracks look like de-lamination, some appear to be deep 'checks'. I have encountered similar severe checking on cabin-top teak handholds. I filled the cracks with 'Loctite PL premium' construction adhesive, available at hardware stores in caulk gun tubes. I forced the goop in with a plastic spatula then pushed it in very hard with a folded piece of clear 'glad wrap' using my hand. It gets everywhere on the wood surface but, keep it very thin (outside the cracks) to save on sanding. The stuff expands slightly when it hardens so it is great at filling deep cracks. I then sanded the hardened filler after 24hrs back to the wood surface and painted with cetol (luckily it is tan colored); varnish might be better. The preceding also worked on my badly checked, pressure treated, mailbox post and my roof fascia boards. I top-coated those latter items with house paint. It is a very weather resistant repair when painted (do not expect UV resistance), the fascia repair is >12 years old, with no problems observed.
hirondeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel