Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 04:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
dream boat disaster

I have been reading in the local paper here in St Maarten that a number of hurricane damaged boats from BVI's have run into serious problems attempting to transit from BVI's to St Maarten for refit / repairs. Two different mono hulls were rescued by the French side sea rescue off the coast after engine failures and the captains sent out distress calls. And there was a newer catamaran that made it here and anchored on a mooring ball and sank. This is what happens when people with a little money and not a lot of boating experience decide to " live the dream ". They become someone else's problem, and other people get to pay for, and clean up the mess.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:25   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: dream boat disaster

Three boats. Are you sure they were owned by people with little money and not a lot of boating experience?

I wonder how many made the trip successfully. Was that in the paper too?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Maybe I got it wrong about the money and experience!
I just assumed that someone with more than $2 would have bought a vhf at the very least, and maybe spent the $$ to make sure the engine would run. And how much experience would it require to go 80 miles without calling the coast guard to come and rescue you? Both of the rescues had no safety or communication equipment The person who sank on arrival might have spent the time and money to ensure they were going to make it the whole 80 miles if for no other reason than sinking half way here and swimming the rest of the way could be a pain in the ass. Maybe they were all rich folks with tons of experience and they are just brain dead.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:57   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

How do you know that these weren't crewed by their original pre storm owners? I've seen several posts from owners looking to make passage to repair facilities. I agree with your concern about over eager neophytes , but are you posting facts or .....?

Tags
boat