Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:07   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hailing Minny, MN
Boat: Vancouver 27
Posts: 751
Images: 1
Drama in a Boatyard

I've been refitting my boat at the Sailcraft boatyard in Oriental, NC for over a year now and will be departing next week.

The issue is between the yard manager and the old rigger who recently started off on his own. I've known the rigger for a while now and had planned on using him when he was still at the yard. He went off on his own and I hired him anyway because he's the best rigger around.

Hiring him seems to have personally offended the yard manager, who has taken it upon himself to make this project as difficult as possible for both me and the rigger. There was a time when my rig was down, strewn out over sawhorses, where I thought I would have to move the whole deal over to the neighboring yard because the yard manager was going to block the rigger from the yard. I had to stand between them in a heated personal argument, trying to calm them down and reason with them, in order to get my job completed.

We walked away from that conversation on "good terms" with the rigger able to complete my project.

Another time the yard manager straight-up lied to me about a conversation he had with the rigger regarding supplemental work. It bordered on sabotaging my project and I almost wound up with a new furler I didn't want.

Now that I'm getting ready to depart, whatever agreement they had appears to have fallen apart and the yard manager is coming after me for the rigger's commission. He actually threatened to bring me to court and impound my boat if the rigger didn't pay up.

I'm a bit miffed by the possibility of essentially paying for all the BS I've been put through here. I've spent over $10K at the yard over the last year and it strikes me as greedy and highly unprofessional that the yard would be coming after me now. Essentially, the yard manager and the rigger both have personal axes to grind and I'm just the leverage in the middle.

So I guess my question is what leverage do I have over the yard manager beyond going on an online forum to gripe about it? Alan, you're killing me man!!

I need to get out of this boatyard!!
__________________

__________________
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 337
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Your most likely going to have to pay the riggers commission. Or get the rigger to pay what he owes. It seems that simple at this point. Good luck


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45   #3
Registered User
 
clownfishsydney's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran
Posts: 305
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

I can say that in Australia we would tell him to f*** o**.
__________________
Michael and Kelly
Catlypso - Web Site
Lightwave 38' cat
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01   #4
sitting on the dock of the bay

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,513
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

contract? estimates? anything on paper? verbal? was there an agreement up front that you pay the rigger's commission?
__________________
sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

In the U.S., the boatyard has the responsibility and power of "care, custody and control". You pay your money to them and regain c,c and c to yourself. Suck it up.
__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29   #6
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Hire an Attorney unless the commission is reasonable then suck it up

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Captain Bill's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat
Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Posts: 2,313
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Many (most) boatyards require some sort of fee from outside vendors. It is usually covered in the invoice from the outside vendor as a separate line item. If the vendor's hourly rate is $100 and the yard requires a 20% commission Then there's a $20 charge per hour that's usually call Yard fee or something similar. I am familiar with Alan and I suppose your rigger is Mark. If Mark charged you the fee then your beef is with Mark, if he didn't, pay Alan his fee and get out of there. Either way you would have had to pay the fee.
__________________
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: coast of maine
Boat: Swan 48
Posts: 22
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

I always need to get out of a boatyard the second they pull my boat! Let's face it most boatyards suck, and suck you dry. As with any business, it is the management and owner that make or break a yard. For example: Brewer chain of yards in the NE US bill you by every 15 min. even if you are asking a worker a question, or even just shooting' the shiit for a few minutes, they bill you. Their policy is like a law firm - every worker must account for billable hours at the end of each day - and with talking with some of the workers - they told me they just arbitrarily bill kinda who they like or don't like. It's a corporate mentality gone wrong. It's ugly and it's immoral. That's my experience at a Brewer yard in CT.
Get out of your boatyard in NC ASAP and never go back - plus, you must tell everyone you can about this experience - or it will continue to get worse.
Happy sailing, and good luck.
__________________
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:07   #9
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,434
Images: 25
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I've been refitting my boat at the Sailcraft boatyard in Oriental, NC for over a year now and will be departing next week.

The issue is between the yard manager and the old rigger who recently started off on his own. I've known the rigger for a while now and had planned on using him when he was still at the yard. He went off on his own and I hired him anyway because he's the best rigger around.

Hiring him seems to have personally offended the yard manager, who has taken it upon himself to make this project as difficult as possible for both me and the rigger. There was a time when my rig was down, strewn out over sawhorses, where I thought I would have to move the whole deal over to the neighboring yard because the yard manager was going to block the rigger from the yard. I had to stand between them in a heated personal argument, trying to calm them down and reason with them, in order to get my job completed.

We walked away from that conversation on "good terms" with the rigger able to complete my project.

Another time the yard manager straight-up lied to me about a conversation he had with the rigger regarding supplemental work. It bordered on sabotaging my project and I almost wound up with a new furler I didn't want.

Now that I'm getting ready to depart, whatever agreement they had appears to have fallen apart and the yard manager is coming after me for the rigger's commission. He actually threatened to bring me to court and impound my boat if the rigger didn't pay up.

I'm a bit miffed by the possibility of essentially paying for all the BS I've been put through here. I've spent over $10K at the yard over the last year and it strikes me as greedy and highly unprofessional that the yard would be coming after me now. Essentially, the yard manager and the rigger both have personal axes to grind and I'm just the leverage in the middle.

So I guess my question is what leverage do I have over the yard manager beyond going on an online forum to gripe about it? Alan, you're killing me man!!

I need to get out of this boatyard!!
It is not uncommon to find that a boatyard will not permit outside contractors to work on a yacht within their premises unless the contractor goes through the yard management which, of course, charges an over-ride on the cost of the work. This is for several reasons not the least of which is the prospective liability the yard management may have to the contractor or, worse, the client, in the event of an accident resulting in injuries or damages to other yard workers or equipment, the client or his yacht, or other customers and/or their yachts. Moreover, a yard is not in the business of simply providing "working space" unless it is an owner DIY facility in which case the lay days tend to be more costly and 3rd party contractors may still be disallowed. Unfortunately, such policies are not often disclosed to a yard's clients until the matter arises although signage is often posted to notify outside contractors that they must report to and clear through the yard's management before doing any work. In your case, at this juncture, it might be wisest to discuss the matter with the yard management in a calm and collected manner and offer to pay an over-ride on the contractor's work, say 10%-15%, to resolve the matter. That may not be successful but at least it would be a starting point.

FWIW...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Boatyard owners are currently suffering from an identity crisis. They have long felt disrespected for being left out of the, "if a lawyer was drowning here, and a used car salesman was drowning over there," joke, and have made a concerted effort to nudge one of those two ne'er-do-wells out of the spot they feel should rightfully be theirs. Just remember this: long after you are gone and enjoying life to the fullest, that man will be stuck there, filled with hate and resentment, fighting with his ex-employee over chicken feed. The best revenge upon such people is to avoid lowering yourself to their field. They are their own worse punishment.

There is one little thing you might do to get a bit of enjoyment out of it, but never let him see you smile. Act a little irritated and offer him half. No matter what he settles for, the bit you leave with will haunt him.
__________________
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:31   #11
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,063
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is not uncommon to find that a boatyard will not permit outside contractors to work on a yacht within their premises unless the contractor goes through the yard management which, of course, charges an over-ride on the cost of the work. This is for several reasons not the least of which is the prospective liability the yard management may have to the contractor or, worse, the client, in the event of an accident resulting in injuries or damages to other yard workers or equipment, the client or his yacht, or other customers and/or their yachts. Moreover, a yard is not in the business of simply providing "working space" unless it is an owner DIY facility in which case the lay days tend to be more costly and 3rd party contractors may still be disallowed. Unfortunately, such policies are not often disclosed to a yard's clients until the matter arises although signage is often posted to notify outside contractors that they must report to and clear through the yard's management before doing any work. In your case, at this juncture, it might be wisest to discuss the matter with the yard management in a calm and collected manner and offer to pay an over-ride on the contractor's work, say 10%-15%, to resolve the matter. That may not be successful but at least it would be a starting point.

FWIW...
Very well put!
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:51   #12
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

What yard?

Also, who, corporate wise, do they answer to, so that sailors might look up what else they own & avoid the places. Ditto on sending corporate a well drafted letter about your experiences, including dates, names, threats, etc. Especially said items vs. what should have properly transpired; as gentlemen, & if you like, the legal version as well.

And corporate has to answer to someone also... if they have the 'nad to try & get nasty about things. Not just answer to in terms of bosses, but both online forums, & published periodicals too.

If you choose to pursue it that far, or they want to try & be nasty with you.
__________________
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 83
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

This is the same Mark from the DrakeParagon series on utube correct? He seems to be a rigger I would go out of my way to hire.
__________________
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:23   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 104
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I can say that in Australia we would tell him to f*** o**.
We have a similar saying here in the States.
__________________
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:30   #15
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

So do you have a contract

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police / Cruiser Drama in Australia MarkJ Cruising News & Events 26 31-10-2010 11:06
Drama Remnants on South Cat Cay Bahamas GlobalHopper Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 12-10-2010 15:55
Mini Transat Drama - Which Way? barnakiel Cruising News & Events 14 14-09-2009 20:36
High Drama a La Casa...... Rangiroo Off Topic Forum 13 09-03-2008 21:18
Another Southern Ocean Drama... Rangiroo Health, Safety & Related Gear 1 04-05-2007 02:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.