Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 22:32   #46

Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Wow, one learns something new every day. I knew of and ran away from several shi-shi blue blood type yards in my area just because they required approval of my vendors unless I'd certify that it was a personal helper who was doing the work gratis. And they required my vendors and myself to carry workman's comp and other insurance. Screw them. If they want insurance at their yard they should pay for that themselves out of the outrageous storage fees they were charging.

We have a nice workman's yard (at almost half the cost of the shi-shi yards) which I found after a few years of keeping the boat for the winter in a friend's yard in return for some professional help. At that DIY boat yard not only do they allow ouside vendors to come and go as they please but all the staff is friendly and approachable while they're there. And they get a lot new business and clients for their junk yard as well since outside vendors often bring new storage clients who like the "no kick backs" policy of this yard. And I do distribute beers and munchies at each launch and haul out plus I'm there often in the Fall and Spring so the staff treats me as almost part of the gang.

But it's good to know that this is not the norm and that many places are financial traps for the unaware owner.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 23:05   #47

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 43'

Do you have a STRONG Left Hand? If so use it on the persons throat while cocking your Right fist. Then ask politely if he'd like the right fist driven into his nose? THAT'S HOW we DO IT IN AUSTRALIA!
If in Australia, come to MONTY'S MARINA at Beachmere. 1hr drive Nth of Brisbane. No frills, No ********. Great people, Great Yard.
bretto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 23:48   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Drama in a Boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto55 View Post
Do you have a STRONG Left Hand? If so use it on the persons throat while cocking your Right fist. Then ask politely if he'd like the right fist driven into his nose? THAT'S HOW we DO IT IN AUSTRALIA!
If in Australia, come to MONTY'S MARINA at Beachmere. 1hr drive Nth of Brisbane. No frills, No ********. Great people, Great Yard.
Hope your pretty tall and built like a brick **** house.. coz Alan is both..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 23:55   #49

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto55 View Post
I don't think I like you speaking up for Australians I've never seen myself or people I respect as a thug. Though, I see your from Queensland, so that might explain it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:36   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That sounds reasonable. If the yard is paying people by the hour, they aren't paying them to stand around doing nothing, they are paying them to do work that the yard will be paid for.

If you had employees, you would expect them to be working during hours that they were being paid, would't you?
WTF? Not in any yard I've been in, nor will it be so in any yard I frequent in the future. There's still such a thing as Customer Relations, and a 5-min conversation during a work lull hardly qualifies as a billable service.

BTW, For DIY'ers, Playboy Marine in Fort Lauderdale was great, honest, and fair to me. Even a little extra TLC for free. Highly recommend them.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19   #51

Boat: Vancouver 27

Damn, a lot of great responses here. I want to be clear that overall I've had a good experience with Sailcraft. It's a DIY yard that offers an on-hand staff of qualified tradesmen (many of whom I trust and have come to know as friends). I've been through sh!tty boatyards before and this is not one of them.

I've also witnessed Alan bending over backwards for folks. He's helped me out before too and I've got no personal animosity towards him. What's more, I know of no town in America better to refit a boat than Oriental, NC! A quiet, inexpensive little coastal village with more sailboats than people.

I just dont understand why Alan made it hard for me to get this job done in an efficient, proper manner. I went through Sailcraft for a number of other projects and our relationship was always honest and fair. Zero complaints about any of the work. But I wanted to use Mark for the rigging. Once the three of us agreed that Mark was on the job I assumed the specifics of their new business relationship would be worked out without me as the unwilling mediary.

I have no desire to harm Alan's business and wish Sailcraft the best. They really helped me do a great job on an extensive refit. But my boat is not leverage to be used in other people's personal affairs.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 14:37   #52

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Ya Think??
There is no "other side of story",in this situ-
A pro doesn't air dirty laundry in public nor lose emotional control. Period.Especially a "Manager"/owner !

As far as the commission fee or whatever it's called-of course pay (as I said in my post) and get out of dodge ASAP- Matter of fact RUN from emotionally UNSTABLE person(s).

I don't know what kind of world you choose to live within and what types of behavior is acceptable to you ?

To me,my family and,within my world that behavior is unacceptable 24/7.

The OP deserves an apology from manager !

All the Best
Yes, I think. We have only heard from the OP. Only his side of the story.

BTW: There has been some pretty bad and childish advice given here. I hope the OP is smart enough and grown up enough to see through it.
Old 03-05-2015, 15:05   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes, I think. We have only heard from the OP. Only his side of the story.

BTW: There has been some pretty bad and childish advice given here. I hope the OP is smart enough and grown up enough to see through it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:19   #54

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

When you first went into the yard, they should have given you a "price schedule" of what things cost, who can or can not work on your boat, and the extra fees for outside contractors.

Read that over before going to war - it may help or hurt.

If you ever haul out again in this area, I strongly suggest you use the Duck Creek Boatyard. Nicest, most honest people in the world. The canal getting to the yard is fairly shallow, but if you wait for a really high tide you can get in and out. We draw 6'6" and did it (1 person onboard, only 5-gallons of fuel, no water onboard, etc)

They do allow outside contractors, which is all spelled out in the price schedule.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:36   #55

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hope your pretty tall and built like a brick **** house.. coz Alan is both..
+1 I had almost the exact same thought when I read that post.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:49   #56

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Now that I'm getting ready to depart, whatever agreement they had appears to have fallen apart and the yard manager is coming after me for the rigger's commission. He actually threatened to bring me to court and impound my boat if the rigger didn't pay up.
I vaguely remember reading years ago that this practice, of a yard taking a cut of a tradesman's compensation, was established to be illegal in California.

Does anybody have any firm information?
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote