Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57   #31

Re: Drama in a Boatyard

I grew up around yards,worked them and learned great reason for
university !

This Fellow Allan seems a putz for letting personal animosities show in front of customer(s) ! Just entirely unproffessional-Manager-what a laugh.
Allan will quickly discover the "cost benefit" of his grubbing the luker.
Manager should pay you to forget anger/shouting match !!

That said-does OP have contract with yard? and what does it spell out in this regard?
I never use a yard that'll charge "vender fee".Matter of principle. Financialization of everything.But then I haul out on friends' property.

OP -pay the fee and get out of there ASAP.If dollar amount sufficient to warrant court then proceed.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 13:48   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm genuine, when I say that I don't understand the meaning of this. Could you be kind enough to clarify please.
ing the aluminum

"Also, who, corporate wise, do they answer to, so that sailors might look up what else they own & avoid the places."

That was you statement. I don't think there is a corp. level involvement, probably just a local pissing contest. If it is corp., you are correct, **** flows down hill.
Was it not you considering the aluminum hull? I think my last on that was read Homeless' posts re: aluminum and his breaking all the rules. If it wasn't you disregard my hope of someone getting the aluminum boat,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 13:54   #33

Boat: Island Packet 445

We purchased our boat in Oriental about 18 months ago. We used Sailcraft as our haul out and had them take the rig down so we could transport the boat across the USA to Washington. They were terrible. They cut wires so short that they couldn't be spliced and had to be re-run, they lost deck cushions and halyards, they didn't wrap the mast properly - I could go on... In the end they agreed to pay less than half of the replacement cost/damage that they caused. I would be very cautious to use them for any service.
luciarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:38   #34

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I work in every marina and yard around town and don't pay anything... WTF is a commission? the boat owner is already paying the yard to be there.

some yards I pay a small annual fee to keep a marina gate key. but that's it.
I have to admit this story is an eye opener to me. The yard I use every year over here (Tas, Australia) has no restrictions on what contractors come and go. And whilst there is a boilermaker on site and a rigger. There is no extra fees to hire someone else to come in.

But, I've never been elsewhere, so I wouldn't know. It's just a surprise to me that it's how it works.

But, if I owned a yard and provided the seperate trades I'd expect sailors to use my trades people. So I can understand the fees. Just hadn't previously heard of them.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:47   #35

Boat: sabre 28

It's his yard & sounds like you were going to use the rigger when he was working at the yard. You did after all hire the rigger knowing he left & there was some bad feelings between the two without discussing this with the yard manager first.

What kind of money are we talking about $200-$300? Just step up to plate & pay it. The yard owner will get it from you one way or another between now & when you launch....
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:48   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Drama in a Boatyard

My personal experience with Alan and Sailcraft was a very good one..
I bought the boat a Hunter Cherubini 37c from a guy who stored it there.. got blown out on my first attept to the UK when a wave dumped on me N of Bermuda and I went back for repairs..
He helped me in many ways including launching me a year later and letting me sail for the UK owing near $2000 on trust..
I settled the debt in person a few months later.. flying back just for that and to say Thanks.
I always found Alan to be a square guy who would bend over backwards to help..
Sorry to hear about your problem but.. in Oriental that is a fact of life.. outside contractors have to pay a toll... its the same in Spain, Portugal and many other countries I've been in.. outsiders drain the yards income.. simple as that.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:57   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have to admit this story is an eye opener to me. The yard I use every year over here (Tas, Australia) has no restrictions on what contractors come and go. And whilst there is a boilermaker on site and a rigger. There is no extra fees to hire someone else to come in.

But, I've never been elsewhere, so I wouldn't know. It's just a surprise to me that it's how it works.

But, if I owned a yard and provided the seperate trades I'd expect sailors to use my trades people. So I can understand the fees. Just hadn't previously heard of them.
It may come down to the US needs torte reform.

A yard is probably libel for anything that happens on their property. and needs to carry insurance for such. Insurance isn't cheap.

Or on the other hand they feel entitled to be a sole provider so they have you by the shorthairs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 15:00   #38

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I've been refitting my boat at the Sailcraft boatyard in Oriental, NC for over a year now and will be departing next week.
The issue is between the yard manager and the old rigger who recently started off on his own. I've known the rigger for a while now and had planned on using him when he was still at the yard. He went off on his own and I hired him anyway because he's the best rigger around.

I spent a month or two a few years ago in the SailCraft yard and had a similar very bad experience with Alan which cost me several thousand dollars. The Raymarine "certified" technician (who has since left) was totally incompetent. Since then I have avoided his yard completely except for once last year when I did stop there, knowing that Mark was the best rigger in the area, to fix a rigging problem. I found out at that time that Mark had left and Alan did the work. It was a simple job and worked out OK, but since Mark is no longer there I will avoid Alan's yard in the future!
Old 02-05-2015, 15:08   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
This is the same Mark from the DrakeParagon series on utube correct? He seems to be a rigger I would go out of my way to hire.
Yes, that is Mark the rigger and that is the shop at the SailCraft yard.
Old 02-05-2015, 15:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but when I was there last SailCraft did not have a rigger and if I had needed a professional I would have wanted Mark to work on my boat wherever it was without a hassle from the yard.
Old 02-05-2015, 15:29   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Looking at the big picture this "Royalty Fee" is something that we Yacht Owners have to take a firmer stand on.

I am now seeing Marinas and Yacht Clubs trying to charge a daily fee if some tradesman attends your boat. Not just the repair yards.

If you want a yard or marina to manage the repair of your boat...then that is fine...pay them a management commission.

But if they do nothing but lease you the space to store and maintain your boat, then adding hidden charges without justifying the value....is wrong and should be clarified in writing before you commit.

I would rather pay the yard a higher storage fee so as manage the repairs myself as a DIY project with the independent tradesmen I choose.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 18:10   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmills View Post
........... For example: Brewer chain of yards in the NE US bill you by every 15 min. even if you are asking a worker a question, or even just shooting' the shiit for a few minutes, they bill you. Their policy is like a law firm - every worker must account for billable hours at the end of each day - ....................
That sounds reasonable. If the yard is paying people by the hour, they aren't paying them to stand around doing nothing, they are paying them to do work that the yard will be paid for.

If you had employees, you would expect them to be working during hours that they were being paid, would't you?
Old 02-05-2015, 18:23   #43

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
.............. This Fellow Allan seems a putz for letting personal animosities show in front of customer(s) ! Just entirely unproffessional-Manager-what a laugh..............
I think it's important to remember that there are at least two sides to every story and only one is being presented here.

Allan may have a completely different tale to tell. And there's also the rigger.

Sometimes in life, things don't work out the way we hope or think they should. The OP should probably pay the bill or try to negotiate a lower charge. The longer he fight it, the longer his boat is held in the yard and the yard can charge storage fees on top of what is already owed.
Old 02-05-2015, 18:36   #44

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have always made it a point to get to know the Yard folks and to find out what is going on before I go up on the hard. A case of beer and a little conversation about how things are going helps to fit my job into the scheme of things and weed out the inevitable conflict existing in every yard. Sometimes I want one group to do one aspect of the job and another to take on a different task. I also like to stick to my schedule but always allow for changing conditions as long as its not harmful to the boat. I always worry but that's boat ownership. Just remember "no cash, no splash".
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 20:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think it's important to remember that there are at least two sides to every story and only one is being presented here.

Allan may have a completely different tale to tell. And there's also the rigger.

Sometimes in life, things don't work out the way we hope or think they should. The OP should probably pay the bill or try to negotiate a lower charge. The longer he fight it, the longer his boat is held in the yard and the yard can charge storage fees on top of what is already owed.
Ya Think??
There is no "other side of story",in this situ-
A pro doesn't air dirty laundry in public nor lose emotional control. Period.Especially a "Manager"/owner !

As far as the commission fee or whatever it's called-of course pay (as I said in my post) and get out of dodge ASAP- Matter of fact RUN from emotionally UNSTABLE person(s).

I don't know what kind of world you choose to live within and what types of behavior is acceptable to you ?

To me,my family and,within my world that behavior is unacceptable 24/7.

The OP deserves an apology from manager !

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote