Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-05-2015, 10:31   #16

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Re: Drama in a Boatyard

I was shocked to hear your post regarding Alan at Sailcraft.
I have owned many boats and unfortunately used many boatyards from Maine to throughout the Caribbean.
Last Summer I was sailing up from the Caribbean and had planned as usual to go outside around Hatteras however because of the weather forecast and getting to see one of my long time friends who had moved to NC we decided to duck into the ICW which is something I had never done.
We were about 5 miles from Sailcraft when one of my saildrives developed a very serious problem and I had to shut it down. I called Sailcraft from his add in the cruising guide and explained to Allen our predicament and time schedule. He welcomed us in, made room and his yard hands where there to help us fit into a very tight spot in a cat with only one engine.
Within three hours the engine was out of the boat, problem identified and part ordered via FedEX for overnight delivery. Motor was back in the boat and we were on our way by mid-afternoon the next day. The price was half of what I would have paid here in the northeast. Yet what impressed me the most was his willingness to stop doing what he had on his plate and get us on our way. I have never experienced that work ethic in any yard I had previously used.
I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Allen and his Sailcraft Yard.
So.......it would be interesting if you could share with us what your original contract with Sailcraft stated regarding contractual work. I suspect you did have a contract since you were there for a year.
I do however feel your pain but maybe you just need to pay up and chalk it up to experience. Most yards I have used state specifically how outside contractors are handled.
I wish you the best.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm afraid you my be SOL if you are on the hard. What kind of money are we speaking of? Attorney may be more than what the boat yard wants. Discretion can be the best part of valor. Have a talk with Mark maybe you can split it. Just get in the water and out of Dodge.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:48   #18

After 55 years of sailing I sold my boat. I do miss it but not being continually stitched up. It seems that boaters are fair game for all and sundry.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
What yard?

Also, who, corporate wise, do they answer to, so that sailors might look up what else they own & avoid the places. Ditto on sending corporate a well drafted letter about your experiences, including dates, names, threats, etc. Especially said items vs. what should have properly transpired; as gentlemen, & if you like, the legal version as well.

And corporate has to answer to someone also... if they have the 'nad to try & get nasty about things. Not just answer to in terms of bosses, but both online forums, & published periodicals too.

If you choose to pursue it that far, or they want to try & be nasty with you.
Alan owns the yard, he answers to himself. I personally don't have a problem with Alan charging to let Mark come on the property and work on someones rigging. He's a business, not a charity. When Mark comes in the yard he looses business so he charges Mark for use of the facility, even if it's only providing a place to work. If Mark passes on the "yard fees" instead of eating them he's like most other "outside vendors". If he does not charge the yard fees and does not pay Alan his fee then I think that the boat owner legitimately owes Alan the fee. If Mark charged the boat owner the fee and didn't pay Alan then there is a serious problem. Mark has done work for me in the past, both when he worked for Sailcraft and after he went independent. Though he and Alan have not seen eye to eye since he left I don't think Mark would charge the boat owner the yard fee and then not pay Alan. The boat owner chose to use an outside vendor, it's his responsibility to pay the fee one way or the other. Unless he paid Mark the yard fee, he owes the Money to Alan. Most Boat yards I've been in won't splash the boat until the bill is paid in full. If Alan's willing to splash the boat then take him to court he's actually being quite generous. Remember under admiralty law he can have the boat arrested and the owner won't even be allowed aboard until the matter is resolved.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Alan owns the yard, he answers to himself. I personally don't have a problem with Alan charging to let Mark come on the property and work on someones rigging. He's a business, not a charity. When Mark comes in the yard he looses business so he charges Mark for use of the facility, even if it's only providing a place to work. If Mark passes on the "yard fees" instead of eating them he's like most other "outside vendors". If he does not charge the yard fees and does not pay Alan his fee then I think that the boat owner legitimately owes Alan the fee. If Mark charged the boat owner the fee and didn't pay Alan then there is a serious problem. Mark has done work for me in the past, both when he worked for Sailcraft and after he went independent. Though he and Alan have not seen eye to eye since he left I don't think Mark would charge the boat owner the yard fee and then not pay Alan. The boat owner chose to use an outside vendor, it's his responsibility to pay the fee one way or the other. Unless he paid Mark the yard fee, he owes the Money to Alan. Most Boat yards I've been in won't splash the boat until the bill is paid in full. If Alan's willing to splash the boat then take him to court he's actually being quite generous. Remember under admiralty law he can have the boat arrested and the owner won't even be allowed aboard until the matter is resolved.
I'm afraid uncivilized is speaking corp. **** slides down hill. It don't seem the case here. I hope he gets that aluminum boat.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:53   #21

I work in every marina and yard around town and don't pay anything... WTF is a commission? the boat owner is already paying the yard to be there.

some yards I pay a small annual fee to keep a marina gate key. but that's it.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56   #22

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

Yes we have all had some Boatyard drama in our lives. Quote me 2k, bill me 4k and tell me that is in the acceptable range of their marine quote. I for one will never again use a boatyard without a signed contact that has the stipulation (even if it is hand written on the main form) This contract is not an estimation but a firm price for the work to be performed. There is no other work to be undertaken unless it is put in writing, with cost to perform such work and signed by both parties.
What is the old saying " fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I work in every marina and yard around town and don't pay anything... WTF is a commission? the boat owner is already paying the yard to be there.

What town are you in, maybe I need to start going there.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Probably an area thing. Or just a pissing contest between Mark and the yard that he got caught in?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:42   #25

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

The "vendor fee" was a common thing in West Coast FL boatyards when I was there, even some marinas that didn't offer service charged a "vendor fee".

This cases sounds like there is some bad blood between the marina and the former employee. I'd forget about lawyers, speak to the yard manager to see what is the cheapest way the OP is going to get out of this mess and pay it - lesson learned.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
The "vendor fee" was a common thing in West Coast FL boatyards when I was there, even some marinas that didn't offer service charged a "vendor fee".

This cases sounds like there is some bad blood between the marina and the former employee. I'd forget about lawyers, speak to the yard manager to see what is the cheapest way the OP is going to get out of this mess and pay it - lesson learned.
Old 02-05-2015, 13:00   #27

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm afraid uncivilized is speaking corp. **** slides down hill. It don't seem the case here. I hope he gets that aluminum boat.
I'm genuine, when I say that I don't understand the meaning of this. Could you be kind enough to clarify please.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 13:06   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Unfortunately for the OP, sadly, this is now sounding like it's making sense. Although one would think that the rigger (former employee) would have had a feeling of not exactly being welcome there, prior to taking on jobs in said locale.
Perhaps it's a bit of a bushwhack, to "teach him a lesson" thing, & the OP got caught in the crossfire.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 13:29   #29

Boat: Island Packet 350

Like the previous poster I'm surprised and sorry to hear of your problems. I know Mark and everyone knows his skills and experience can't be beat as a rigger. I also know Allan and spent months in that yard and also at the adjoining marina.

I agree you do not have many options other than to negotiate a settlement. There is much benefit to both Mark and Allan if you can report back to this site that you've reached a fair settlement with all. You may wish to remind them of that. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2015, 13:37   #30

Boat: Island Packet 350

Hmmm? I hope I'm not posting this twice. Just tried to post and didn't see it. So I'll try again.

I spent months in that yard and am sorry to hear of your problems. I have much respect for both Mark and Allan. In fact I just recommended the yard and adjoining marina (separate ownership) to a friend making his way north. I've always held Sailcraft boatyard (both ownership and employees) in high regard.

I agree with fellow posters that you'll probably need to negotiate a settlement between all parties. You may wish to remind Allan and Mark they have much to benefit by you reporting a fair settlement back to CF readers. Good Luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: