Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 13:56   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Drain and Intake on one Thru Hull ?

I just installed a composting head and want to glass in my sewage thru hull and my salt water intake for the toilet. I had a salt water wash down t-ing off of the intake for the toilet that I will no longer be able to use.

My question is this: can I T my salt water wash down into the thru hull that we use for our bathroom sink drain? It is just a salt water wash down so if the first few seconds of spray come up as grey water its not the end of the world. Is this even possible?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:59   #2

Re: Drain and intake on one thru hull?

You can try it. Keep the Tee low. Might suck air thru the drain.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

No, you never want to connect your sanitation system to any other system in any way. This is for health reasons and smell reasons. Given the right conditions, fluids can flow the wrong way through a hose or pipe. The same applies to your gray water system, potable water system, engine cooling system and your seawater washdown system. All should be isolated from one another so that there is no possibility that one can contaminate the other.

Also, never assume you can get away with it by using a check valve. Check valves can and do fail.

I agree with what Daddle says about the possibility of sucking air.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:24   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our salt washdown is teed to the head sink drain, no problems, I just need to clean the strainer for the pump more often than if it wasn't this way. It occasionally sucks air, but never for more than a 1/2 second or so.
BTW, if you shave the morning that you raise the anchor you'll need to clean the pump strainer!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:46   #5

Why change it? I've found gurgling in the sink and not a steady flow the one time I tried it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:07   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd suggest just leaving the old through hulls in place and capping them off rather than glassing them in. You or someone in the future might want to use those through hulls again. I've got a composting head and I've just capped off the through hulls. I was thinking I might use the old intake one for a wash down pump some day. Or I might install a seawater intake for a fridge cooling system some day.

Tags
thru hull