Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2009, 16:07   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I only use two types of hose clamps:

1. ABA, like these: ABA marine - Made from 316 Stainless steel

2. My own, using monel or stainless wire and the Clamptite tool, see ClampTite - The Official Website | ClampTite | tools | business opportunity

I prefer the latter but use the ABA clamps for hoses that I take off for maintenance on a regular basis.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 03:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Keith (Strygaldwir):
How are those “Titan” titanium hose clamps holding up, after about 4 years?

ABA & AWAB are exactly the same hose clamps.

ABA marine - Made from 316 Stainless steel

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 06:02   #33

I find that hose clamps don't stand up over time, and get rusty. It might be the grade of the steel. Don't know, but over time most of them go rusty.

On the other hand, I find that most clamping situations, if the hose is a real tight fit and you need heat to soften it at bit to seat it completely on the bard, the clamp is almost redundant and 2 would be doubly redundant.

I can't recall a situation where I wanted to redo or change out some plumbing where I could un clamp and slip the hose of the barb. If I could get heat on it I might pull it off, but usually it requires that I cut the hose.

But the critical thing is how the ID of the hose matches the OD of the barb. If the hose easily slips on, it probably not a good fit and the clamp becomes mission critical and double clamping would be in order. This is rarely the case but it does happen.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 08:51   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the nice anti-stink waste/potable water hosing--the white stuff--goes on quite nicely using hot water to make it pliable--then 2 hose clamps IFF the barb is long enough. th shaft log is not always long enough for 2, and when it is, one must be very very careful not to over tighten it--WILL crack the shaft log then there are real problems ..... i agree with gord -- if there is room for 2, use them--i check mine occasionally to make sure there is no rust---then, if there is, i change them--i donot like the ones at worst marine---i have an itch about that place anyway!!!...but i will use the other kind and check occasionally---the hosing i find will deteriorate before the clamps rust too badly to be useable..and if the clamps are tightened too tightly on the pressure water system, there may be problems with leaks not findable until the hose bursts and your water is used up without you knowing about that...kat found one i couldnt find--he heard the hisss before i could figger it out--sat by the head for days before i figured out the hose under sink was leaking..all i could hear was the pump going on occasionally....goooood kitty....
(my boat might have problems not common to others--is a formosa--they seem to have many different problems not common to most other boats!!!}
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:32   #35

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
There are heavy galvanized metal band clamps that you can obtain at commercial fishing supply stores that are incrediably strong.
The metal band is 1" to 1 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, a 1/4 or 5/16"" bolt is used to draw it tight (depending on size). I installed a number on my boat 10 years ago. Only the ones in the engine room where I have splashed sea water on them are rusty but still holding, to remove them I cut the bolt.
Obviously being made of galvanized steel they will rust but the holding power due to its design far surpases 2, 3, 4 or more stainless steel hose clamps.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 22:43   #36

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
This and a Boiling Kettle is what I've come up with to battle the hose/barb fight. Also add some dish soap sometimes.
It works well.

Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Pipe Expander.png
Views:	339
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	9526  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 05:17   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
There are heavy galvanized metal band clamps that you can obtain at commercial fishing supply stores that are incrediably strong.
The metal band is 1" to 1 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, a 1/4 or 5/16"" bolt is used to draw it tight (depending on size)...
T-Bolt hose clamps, if that's what you mean, are widely available in 316 Stainless Steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Bolt Clamp.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	9536  

Old 19-10-2009, 12:20   #38

Boat: Privilege 37
Okay, the report after 4 years on the titanium clamps. They have held up VERY well. No rust. I unscrewed a couple to assure they would not break a couple of weekends ago, and no issue with that either! So, the report is good, so far.

Having said that however, I'd not necessarily go out and replace all my clamps as I did. First, it is very expensive, second they will not work for many of the applications that a stainless steel hose will. Specifically the ones I purchased don't have the strength the stainless clamps I had did. If I tried to torque them down too hard, it would strip. So I could not use them on some of the thick hose applications.

But, another update in a couple of years then we can see how the REALLY hold up!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 12:40   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the report.
Disappointing to hear that the clamping strength doesn’t match the stainless clamps.

Old 19-10-2009, 12:54   #40

Boat: Privilege 37
Yes, it is. In the ad copy they say titanium is so much stronger. This may be the case for some of the cheap stainless clamps, but I have the AWAB clamps to compare the strength to, and they can't be tightened down as much as the AWAB's.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:01   #41

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mike View Post
I only have one hose clamp on my hoses including the exhaust and I have not told anyone until now. My boat came that way from the factory. There is very low pressure on the hoses unlike the radiator in my car which has one clamp. When the taps are open I am on the boat, this seems to be a fairly save practice. I guess a clamp could snap which would be a good reason for having two. As you said there is not enough room for two on a lot of the attachment points. On the exhaust I could not remove the rubber piece after removing the clamp, it had married itself to the metal part. It is a bit like nailing a piece of wood, if one nail is good then two must be better, what about three or four until the wood splits. I think one good clamp is sufficient for next to zero psi. Have a look under the kitchen sink at the lines carrying 40 to 50 psi or the car radiator at about 12 psi. BC Mike C
The difference being that your car doesn't sink beneath the roadway if the radiator hose clamp fails, nor does your house sink down into the earth when the single clamp on your kitchen garbage disposal fails. On a boat, however, a failure of a single clamp on a waterline or below thruhull fitting (or whatnot) could most definitely put the boat and everyone aboard straight down to Davy Jones' locker lickety split. A staggered double clamped hose seems a small price to pay for the added security considering how high the stakes are on a boat when there is a hose clamp failure.

And in case anyone is still unsure about all this, consider that a mere 2" hole will allow upwards of 75 gallons per minute into a boat. For an idea of the amount of water we're referring to here, fill your bathtub up to the rim with water and then let it drain. That's about 50 gallons on average. See how many minutes it takes to drain, then picture 1.5 times that amount of water filling your boat in under 1 minute. Now, I don't know about you folks, but I have yet to see the average boat's bilge pump system able to even begin to cope with something approaching 5000 gallons per hour.

So to all of you in the single clamp camp, I just have to wonder how good of a swimmer are you and those most commonly on your boat, and how anxious are you to see Davy Jones himself?
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:57   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
When in doubt

When in doubt just measure..