Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2004, 19:42   #16

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Well, ErnieO, something to think about. But there is no way that the waste pipe is coming off. I couldn't get it off there at a truck pull.

Old 14-07-2004, 23:52   #17

LOL Sono! That's funny and I do hear ya. As for the KY, well I've never used it (not for plumbing anyway) so I wasn't aware that it was water soluble.

Old 16-07-2004, 11:54   #18

Boat: PSC Crealock 34 - Amy Michele

ErnieO, depends on the plumbing, i supose?

Old 25-07-2004, 10:30   #19

Am fixing up a CT 41 to go cruising again, Have replaced all the through hulls and used polysulfide on the barbs first which acted as a lubricant to get the hoses on then double clamped as the surveyers make such a noise about it, try get that baby off!!! The white septic hose that is so hard to get on..... have tryed boiling water with little luck so in desperation used a propain torch and work gloves, slid right on.
Old 25-07-2004, 11:23   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Propane pain

Lets hope you didn't over heat the material, cristalizing the plastic, making it brittle. That could be a stinking mess at sea.
Old 26-07-2004, 13:33   #21

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
You guys aren't doin it right

I've always used dishwashing liquid. Makes cleanup easier and it helps to seal things up when it dries out. And you get that nice lemon fresh scent too!!!
Greg
Old 16-09-2004, 05:11   #22

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Sanitation Hose

Well, I am an expert on sanitation hose now. To install a holding tank, I had to make 16 connections. I removed a square inch of skin between my thumb and forefinger until I realized that a steaming kettle, left under the pipe for a REALLY LONG TIME, makes the job easy. KY Jelly works better than anything else; and you have to watch the teflon spray. Many hose manufacturers write "No Petroleum Products" right on the hose. Still, double clamping those fittings seems stupid. As far as I am concerned, a single clamp is redundant, as they are so tight!
Old 24-12-2004, 08:24   #23

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
Double clamps $$$

Hmmmm....

Double clamps for each engine room, bilge pump, and shower pump connection. I am up to 146 clamps so far (Oh, catamarans have TWO engines! Double everything!)! At about $5 each, that is $730 to redo all the clamps, in titanium. Ouch!

If I am using titanium clamps, do I really need to double clamp them? They are stronger than stainless and don't corrode! I think I'll compromise. Clean up the existing clamps that are serviceable, put on the titanium clamps as primary, and use the old stainless as a backup. Any opinions?
Old 24-12-2004, 08:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Strygaldwir:
and I gotta ask where that handle comes from?
I think you are on the right track.
1. My original post indicated my opinion, that double-clamping is not always neccessary (or even desirable).
2. I think the Titanium clamps are a good idea, and not overpriced.
3. Attach a tapered soft-wood plug (cone) at each thru-hull fitting (the ultimate backup).
FWIW
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 20:50   #25

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
Titanium hose clamps

Gord I have just received the new titanium clamps from Titan. They are wonderfully light and appear to be of extrordinary quality. I am have started replacing the clamps. I started with the bilge pump clamps and am now on the fuel lines and fittings. All the clamps that I have found on the boat were "total" stainless. I even did the magnet test. They appear to be of good quality, but none-the-less all of the have rust. Half of them it was just surface type rust and it clean off easily. On the other hand many of them broke when I removed them. I do have to say though, that none of them were "frozen"! The screws would turn in all cases.

The ones that were servicable, I soaked in Phosporic acid and that cleaned them up nicely. I am now using them as secondaries for the titanium clamps. Time will tell how the titanium holds up.

So thanks for the tip! Even if it did cost me major $$$!

The "correct" spelling is Strygalldwir. But you'll have to find some prince or something to tell you from what chaos it comes from.

Keith
Old 20-08-2009, 10:18   #26

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria
In which direction should two clamps align?

When using two hose clamps, should they be aligned in the same direction or in opposite directions?
Old 21-08-2009, 11:43   #27

It is possible to buy narrow band hose clamps or special purpose non metallic all-in-one hose tails who can be plugged with purpose made bung instead of dowels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	9473  
Old 21-08-2009, 12:18   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

although people do it, if you are using that white plastic hose, do not use a heat gun (I know .. it's impossible without it) the heat gun invariably effects the hose. I have seen new hoses developing cracks near the clamps or end of fitting from this multiple times...
Yea the 2 clamp rule is BS. Very few fittings have the room.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:31   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
When using two hose clamps, should they be aligned in the same direction or in opposite directions?
I don't think it makes any difference.

What I don't do is leave the worm screw at the bottom where a drop of water could hang off it accelerating corrosion of these sometimes questionable worm screws. The screws themselves sometimes seem to have a higher iron content than the rest of the clamp. I have never been able to tell which are which...even when buying from a place like West Marine. Certainly never buy hose clamps from a home store, even if they say "stainless".

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 14:20   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
... these sometimes questionable worm screws. The screws themselves sometimes seem to have a higher iron content than the rest of the clamp. I have never been able to tell which are which...even when buying from a place like West Marine. Certainly never buy hose clamps from a home store, even if they say "stainless".
All ‘AWAB’ brand Hose Clamps are ALL 316 Stainless Steel (including the screws), and are un-perforated /w rolled edges, to protect the hose.

AWAB LLC

Awab Hose Clamp

Another popular brand, ‘Tridon’ (Ideal) hose clamp products are S/S, BUT have MILD Steel worm gear screws.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: