Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 11:26   #1

Dorades

I am currently looking for an IP38, with which to circumnavigate. Several of the boats have dorades and others do not. In the opinion of those more experienced, how important would these be to a boat which is frequently on the move, anchored or moored?

Thank you for your input.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:53   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Dorades

We have two dorades. Not having them I think would be a mistake. They provide a surprising amount of air, an keep air moving through the boat when it's closed up.

But they can be added to almost any bessel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:09   #3

I think they are minimally effective in light airs, But are very nice to keep some rainproof air going thru the boat when it's closed up. For living aboard I would prefer a small hatch to open, but there can be rainy days that are very stuffy. so they are nice. I wouldnt avoid a boat without them though, you can add a couple.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think they are minimally effective in light airs, But are very nice to keep some rainproof air going thru the boat when it's closed up. For living aboard I would prefer a small hatch to open, but there can be rainy days that are very stuffy. so they are nice. I wouldnt avoid a boat without them though, you can add a couple.

Very good description.

Don't expect Dorades to operate as well as a big "wind scoop" on an open hatch would do in an anchorage or mooring. But, the point of a Dorade is that you can still get air flow even when all the hatches must remain closed.

I see Dorades as a very nice feature on a boat, and would add as many as practical to my own boat if it did not already have them.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:45   #5

They do seem to snag something no matter where they are, aft of, forward of or alongside the mast.... which is why it's nice to be able to remove them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 15:02   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Dorades are very much appreciated. Those which seem to attract errant sheets can be fitted with wire guards at minimal cost. The more time you spend aboard the more you appreciate them. You must be able to remove and cap them.......
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:16   #7

Thanks for the feedback
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:41   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Face them backwards when you are off the boat. The venturi action helps keep the boat fresh and dry.
Old 23-08-2015, 16:45   #9

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Your probability of becoming seasick on a passage will increase dramatically without them. That's what they are for, not at anchor.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 17:42   #10
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Your probability of becoming seasick on a passage will increase dramatically without them. That's what they are for, not at anchor.
Yup, underway is when dorades really come into their own, when the spray is flying, forward-opening hatches and ports cannot be left open, etc... I'd rate them as pretty essential for a Milk Run circumnavigation...

But they can also be very helpful in colder climates... When running a diesel fireplace, for instance, they can really help create and maintain a proper draft when the boat is all buttoned up...

Plus, some think they look cool, and can make an Average White Boat a little less ordinary... ;-) And, on some boats, the dorade guardrails can come in quite handy as a handhold...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote